Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up guys, I was driving on the freeway today and when I punched it to speed up and pass a guy, a puff of smoke came out the exhaust pipes. What do you think is causing that? I'm thinking it might be the valve stem seals but do any of u have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
389 Posts
water, oil, or gas. :)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Might be that your secondaries are running a little rich and or your timing is not advancing quite far enough when you stomp on it. What color is the smoke?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a puff of bluish-white smoke, I was thinking that it might be that the carb needs to be tuned again because I started smelling fuel a month ago and I first thought it was a dirty filter but now I know thats not the case...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I've been having problems with this Holley carb ever since I got it. I think it's running rich again, wasn't running rich for the last few months, then all of a sudden here it goes again....I'm just stating that to say I wouldn't be surprised if the float is sticking open. Do you think I have to take it apart and clean it? I have another Holley carb in the shop that I'm thinking of pulling apart and rebuilding and selling the one I'm using now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts