Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one installed a PST Polygraphite super suspension kit? I have my 68 XR-7 Torn apart right now and I am getting ready to order a suspension kit. Does anyone have any comments about these kits, Pro or Con? Or does any one have any recomendations on other manufactuers that they have had positive results with. I really don't want to install a negative roll system as the car is only driven a few hundred miles a year.

Thanks for the input!
Hop304

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I have the PST kit on my 69. Personally I don't notice a difference. My suggestion? Save your money and go buy Moog OEM replacements. Cheaper, and they last forever apparently...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Polyurethane/polygraphite bushings

Yes, there most certainly is a difference. The front end components of your car are somewhat insulated from the chassis by the rubber bushings and insulators. Since the Polyurethane/polygraphite bushings are much harder and less forgiving, you will notice a more precise handling. Since the 'squish' is taken out of the system, the body will react faster.

This firmness comes with a price, however. Nothing is free. You will notice a harsher ride. You will notice more 'street vibration' or 'road rumble' through to your steering wheel. Enthusiasts call this street vibration from the bumps and imperfections in the road surface 'road feel'. It does lead to more of the road imperfections finding their way to your hands and butt. Personally, I find it more fatigueing on long drives.

My 'Alpha' '73 has polyurethane bushings since I wanted to better control the suspension when I was racing. I had also deleted the rear spring insulators for the rear axle. My other '73 is more comfortable to drive with its stock replacement components.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Eh? I guess it's a personal thing... I personally didn't notice a difference between the two... Not that I'm doubting you or anything cj, I just didn't notice it... Mind you, I wasn't road racing with the cat either...

·
Registered
215 Posts
i drove a 67 comte on sunday that had the front end
done using pst parts and h/d springs.it was so bad
on the expway it so bad i told him to drive his own
car.just to darm stiff. you could hear everything
to darm stiff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too late:eek:)

Thanks for the input. I already ordered a hoge-poge of parts. Some poly, some ruber. Got it all done this week. Just installing the springs today and cleaning up some stuff. I'll let you know if it was worth the $.

Thanks again.....Hop

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Handling

Catz I have owned and driven Cougars over ten years now.I finally after four years have my 69 351 Eliminator on the road.Its all stock with rubber bushings.I had been driving my 390 XR7 for past six months.Well when I got behind the wheel of the Eliminator what a noticable diff in steering and handling.The "E" has the competion handling pkg and is firm with some road noise.My advise is to keep the rubber bushings and upgrade your handling by adding in stiffer springs and a heavier sway bar I suggest the one from Granada Monarch etc.It's a direct bolt in if you take the mounting brkts from donor car.You also can use the lower conrol arms disc brakes and PS components such as the ram and control valve.I wonder if the springs will transfer Hmmm Hope this helps Ray/Pacificatz:p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Hop!!! Good to see a fellow Coloradoan on here. :)
I was going to order some PST products and it was suggested that I didn't. Got new spring seats from local Ford dealer, new springs from Auto Zone and new KYB's from KYB in Jersey. Now my car is a bit high in front. Sure drives much better. I had hit a pothole and bottomed out my spring seat and broke my shock. Any suggestions on what to do with rear end? Maybe overload leaf? I just had new rears leafs put on about 4? 5? years ago.
Thanks

Sandra

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Springs

Hey Sandra,

Um lets see. I'm not sure what part of Colorado you are from, but if you are on the Western slope, I had Alcan Spring in Grand Junction build new springs. The rear end sits a little higher than stock and they increased the load capacity so that I can have a few people of ample size ride in the car with out the bottom out that I used to get. And the ride is not that harsh. The price was just a little more than if I ordered a new set from an after market dealer. Hope that helps!

Hop

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ray

Ray,
I noticed in your post mentioning certain suspension items as direct bolt-ins from granada,monarch.........What items are direct bolt-ins for a 67-68 cougar and what significance or performance boost are these bolt-ins?
I am just getting back into the cougars but plan on making one of my two cougars handle exceptionally well and am interested in any items that can be taken off other production models if they are an improvement.......sounds like you have lots of experience in this field and would appreciate some information.

Thanks in advance.......Keith

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Parts swappin

Catz Yes many later models did use the same components.The lower control arms and the steering ram and control valve can be used as well as the sway bar w/mounts and the disc brake set up.So you can get parts from Fairlane Comet Mustang Maverick Granada Monarch Versailles and others I'm sure.Those are the cars I target for good used parts.Fairlane Falcon Comet 1966 till early 70s and Granda etc took over for Fairlane Oh and Torino from 69-73?The only advantage really is that a granada part is worth $5 while the Mustang partscost $50 so look closely as many are identical.The sway bar is a big help and don't forget the mnting brackets.The disc brakes all interchange as well.So do the drivetrains and rear ends somewhat.The rear brakes are all interchangeable as well and if you want wider rears then get the backing plates and drums and bolt in.Same with axles.At least 66-70 is a pretty steadfast rule.Of course there will be exceptions but I think this will help yas Catz ya Later

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ray, I'm not trying to nit pick, but I'm trying to set something straight in my mind. I agree with what you say about the parts interchanging except the torino parts you mentioned. I once owned a m code 69 torino gt and I know that its the same as the 68. I'm not real sure if the 70-71 are or not, but I'm sure the 72 and newer were not unibody cars and used a completly different front suspension. The springs were mounted on the lower control arms etc. If you look at the picture of my 68 dirt track car that I posted real close you can see the 72 or 73 ( I cant recall for sure which year it was) montego( mercurys version of the torino) front frame section that I used in conjunction with the 68's unibody. Do I have it straight or not?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
MM I would say you are correct The guide I have posted is merely a guide and subject tos.I specialize in 66-70 Mustang Fairlane Falcon Comet and Cougar.Before and after these five years things varie more .If in doubt about a part try matching it up side by side.A little known fact is the Fairlane/Falcon/Comet steering box is the same one in Mavericks and Granadas as well as their siblings Hope this makes things somewhat clearer.Catz ya;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts