Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the correct number or size is for the power steering pump on a 289/302 in a late '67?

I probably have the right one, but it came with the engine when the PO swapped it in from a '67 Ranchero.

Thanks!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just measured the diameter on a 302 from a 68 cougar and it is roughly 5 3/8 inches in diameter.......hope this helps....Keith

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moddie...I just realized that I asked the question without knowing my OWN answer to it...so I'll hafta go out and measure this weekend. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Keith, does your car have Air Conditioning? I'm not even sure if it matters, but saw a listing on Ebay that said they were selling a smaller-diameter pulley that is "for cars without air conditioning"...

Not sure why that would matter...unless I've got things routed, wrong, the PS pump's belt doesn't go to any A/C-related pulley, except, perhaps, the crank pulley, and I don't know why the belt slot for the PS pump would be a different size on those two applications.

Hmmmm...I suppose I oughta buy an interchange book so I know what is correct for my baby, and what isn't.

I just think they should glow red or something, if they aren't the correct part...you'd think the car would try to tell ya something's amiss... ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Actually,
I measured the pump that is on a 302 on an engine stand that came out of a 68 cougar. Once you asked again, since I wasn't sure if it was an ac car.......I measured a pump on the shelf that came off an a/c car for sure, and it is smaller! Measurement for diameter is 4 3/4 inches on that one and I know it had a/c. So now I don't know what to tell you. I could measure my 68 XR7 outside tomorrow as it has a/c to get another opinion.
The bottom line, though, might be better answered by someone like Dr. Peterson although his stable is full of big blocks......... Keith

·
11,000 Posts
This is like saying Beetlejuice right?

The Lincoln Mercury Master Parts Catalog calls for power steering pulley P/N C7AZ 3A733-D on a late '67 (from 9/11/66) or '68 289 and 302 w/ AC. The pulley is 5" diameter and has the identifier mark "7AD" stamped into the front.

An easy way to tell if your Cougar is that early would be to check the door tag scheduled build date. Sounds like yours should be the "5" pulley.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, and we didn't even have to say "Peterson" 3 times!!! So you're kinda the "express" version of Beetlejuice then...:)

Thanks for the info Royce (and the previous measuring, Modified!) I am constantly amazed by the mixture of parts on my car...*shaking head* - but I know I am not alone in that regard, and it gives me the strength to go on knowing that others, like me, rail against the....ummmmm...oops...sorry, got carried away there...*blush*

That's not what I have, Royce, but it's what I'll get now! I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make, but I just like cutting down the possibility of problems where what I have is not what the Ford engineers designed for my baby (though, being an "engineer" of sorts myself, I just can't entirely trust them either ;) )

Is the book you refer to the one being offered on CD, Royce? I think I need one of those...might cut down on the posts I need to type out! *L*

·
11,000 Posts
Yes, it is the one available on CD from Dan. Very useful book. I bought the paper version off EBAY. I find the paper is easier to use once you figure out the system of organization.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So then, one more question...

What if I were to have, say a 7AE pulley on it now, which is just slightly under 5" (around 4 3/4 or so)...

What would the effect on my power steering be? I know the pump would turn faster...could THAT be what caused the fluid to leak out of the fill tube? I Know Royce is of the opinion that it was air in the system, but this happened over the space of a year or so, and I know about doing the lock-to-lock stuff, and did it MANY times during that time...

No biggie...I'll find the correct pulley regardless...but I'm just curious about what the effect of having a quick-spinning pump might be...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts