Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im rebuilding my 351w, im considering buying a set of prostar alluminum heads for $700 for my windsor, are these heads good? Or bad?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If that price is for a new pair, in the box, they may be from China. If so, avoid those. Edelbrock E-Street heads are a few hundred more , and for a street car you'll be fine with those.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
If that price is for a new pair, in the box, they may be from China. If so, avoid those. Edelbrock E-Street heads are a few hundred more , and for a street car you'll be fine with those.
Why avoid them? Did you have a bad experience with them?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Bare or assembled? The Procomp assembled heads used some questionable valvetrain components. The casting itself wasn't the worst thing out there, but the quality of the other parts was iffy...

Now what are Prostar heads? I did a google search and couldn't find much. One site says that they are indeed (cheap Chinese) Procomp with a different name...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Shoot some pics of them when ya get 'em..? I bet they are procomps.....but couldn't verify it for sure.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Procomp is immediately what I thought of as well (and I'd bet that is what you will be getting).

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Does Procomp make any decent heads?
Not really - plenty of complaints out there if you google em.....

There's a guy here on Cl selling some AFR's for 1000 - I bet he'd take 8 or 900 if you asked nice - be money ahead IMO

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the heads, their prostar, I have looked ever them very well everything looks good, the machinest i bought them from assebles them with his own things, he buys them bare and puts guides in etc.. The casting is great, I thought they where a great buy for $750.
Aaron

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
If you read through enough of the google searches you will come across a lot of negative comments about the procomp heads. Most of them that you read will be like the ones earlier in this thread. Folks who have never had them but heard stuff and say they should be avoided. Or they searched google and saw bad comments posted in forums from guys who blast them and have never owned them. Lots of that "a friend of mine" stuff without first person feedback. Read through this brief thread link (end of post) at a forum asking the same thing. What you will see is only three of the responses say they have used them and none had problems. One does say he will be switching them from his tow rig but no "why". Of the negative posts, none claim to have had them and had a problem. Not a single post from a person who said "mine were junk and didn't work". I bought a set and have them on my 408 build. I have not driven it enough to know how well the work or discover any failure modes. I will get the car on a chassis dyno some time late this spring. But I did a ton of research before I bought them and actual reported failures are pretty slim. The ones I did read did not seem out of line than problems reported with other heads. And some of those failures I read about were dubious in nature.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/139095-pro-comp-cylinder-heads.html

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rumors only here...I'm sure they're a copy of a previously built head, made in China no doubt. Let us know how they run and last, one way to put the rumor mill to rest I suppose...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts