Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 67 that needs a new vinyl top. There is some indication of minor rust underneath the current one. Try if myself or just send it in to the shop? Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Depends, if there is any rust at all are you able to fix it yourself? Like take it to bare metal, seal it and paint it. Then in regards to the top. Two people I would think are the way to do so you can get it centered correctly or close. Factory was only close. Contact sealer on car and top. Then lay top out. Front is a pain but I found after mine was installed that you can order correct grain and fabric from Kee auto tops a one piece that will fit nice. Will have to stretch the front out to get the posts covered. A lot of work. I had a pro do mine but think with the one piece from Kee Auto Top I could have done it. If It ever needs another one I will do it myself. Time and patience I believe are the key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I really want to try it myself but wasn't sure. I seem to be better with a wrench than I am with adhesive..

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
If you go with the repro top, you can probably do it yourself. However, if you go with the more correct SMS top, you're better off letting a pro install it. The SMS top has thicker vinyl over a thinner pad, just like the original, so it's harder to stretch.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I just installed the original type from Kee Auto Tops with great success. Just lay it out in the sun and draw a center line on the top and on your roof. I also measured where the seams were on the top and drew seam lines on the roof as well to check for straightness. Using 3M Super Trim Adhesive you start in the center and glue the center line down. Then working on one side at a time, spray glue on the top and roof, after it's tacky just pull it down and smooth it out about 12" section at a time. The Kee top is a thicker material and doesn't stretch. It takes patience and small amounts of glue around the glass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts