Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, you guys in Connecticut keeping up with this proposal?

Vintage News said:
4/15/2011 - Proposed 400% Tax Increase For Connecticut Collector Car Owners

Connecticut Legislature Targets 1% of State Population in Move to Increase Tax Revenue

Traverse City, MI - The Connecticut State Legislature is actively considering a bill targeted at collector car owners that would result in a 400% tax increase on the personal property taxes paid for antique vehicles. This move would raise the personal property tax cap from $500 to $2500 for each registered antique car. The Historic Vehicle Association, an organization dedicated to protecting the rights of collector car owners, opposes this bill.

"We feel this bill is unfair and discriminatory, wont accomplish its goal, and could cost more in the long run by losing jobs and reduced economic activity," says Carmel Roberts, Director of Government Relations for the Historic Vehicle Association. "The negative impacts caused by this proposed tax far outweigh any potential benefit."

The negative impacts of this proposed tax are as follows:
This 400% tax increase focuses on one percent of the population potentially causing an antique vehicle owner to pay more vehicle tax than household property tax.

This attempt to raise $2 million for local municipalities could potentially cost the state money through deferred registration of antique vehicles where people are tempted to register their cars in other states or sell their antique vehicles outright.

Nationally, antique car owners spend $35 billion each year and donate more than $59 million to charitable organizations. Connecticut car clubs host hundreds of events each year and support for these events, charities and local business revenue could suffer or completely disappear. Less antique car use would have a negative overall economic impact in the State of Connecticut.

The Historic Vehicle Association urges everyone to contact Connecticut State Legislators to encourage them to oppose House Bill 5580. Contact information can be found at www.historicvehicle.org/Help-Stop-CT-Tax-Increase.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Who comes up with crap like this? Seriously... $2500 to register EACH car EVERY year?? People don't even pay that to register a NEW car, do they?
I presume an "antique" is anything over 25 years old or so. So, theoretically, Grandma could end up paying that money to register her '72 Station Wagon that she drives to church every other week.

I can see alot of people having to sell thier project cars, or "work in progress" daily drivers, just to avoid that crazy fee.

See now, if they were thinking smarter, they wouldn't target 1% of the population. They would target 100%! Just drop it so that the fee is only increased by 5%, but spread out over EVERYONE, and I would think they would get even more money. Then, to make it sound "good", they could say that half of the money (2.5%) would be earmarked for schools, or some such BS like that.

Always makes me wonder when Taxes or levies are only applied to certain people instead of being applied to everyone. "Hey, we want to raise your property tax to fund Police / Fire / Library"... huh, so only property owners use police, fire or libraries? "Hey, rich people should pay more!"... because those rich guys use the Police / Fire / Libraries more?

Ok, I'll stop ranting like a nut now :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yikes! That'll boot me out of the hobby for certain if it goes through.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Liberals want all our so called Dirty Gas Gizzlers off their roads so this is just another attempt to get it done. When you vote remember this stuff. Its our hobby at risk ! If they had their way we would all be riding bikes and trains.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
This legislation is seriously misinterpreted by the people quoted in the first post. It does not impose a $2500 tax. It says that the maximum assessed value of the car will be 2500, instead of 500. Anyone think their car isn't worth at least $500? Anybody with a collector car actually worth more than 2500 would still be taxed at the maximum value of 2500. So, whatever the tax rate is, times 2500, would be the tax. If the tax is 4%, that would be $100.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They should not be taxing you based on the value of your vehicle yearly period. That goes for any vehicle. Good to live in FL at the moment. My tags cost $30 a year.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
This legislation is seriously misinterpreted by the people quoted in the first post. It does not impose a $2500 tax. It says that the maximum assessed value of the car will be 2500, instead of 500. Anyone think their car isn't worth at least $500? Anybody with a collector car actually worth more than 2500 would still be taxed at the maximum value of 2500. So, whatever the tax rate is, times 2500, would be the tax. If the tax is 4%, that would be $100.
Phew! That makes more sense. I think. Unless i'm misinterpreting what you wrote :)

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your qualifying antique vehicle were taxed at a maximum assessed value (MAV) of $500 it would now be taxable at a max assessed value of $2500. If the mill rate were 4% (I don't know what it is in Connecticut) as in the previous example at $500 MAV you would pay $20 in tax. If your MAV goes to $2500 using the 4% you would now be taxed $100. Additionally the Bill calls for increasing the requirements to be considered an antique automobile from 20 years to 30 years. Those cars between 20 and 30 years of aged will now be taxed at a higher rate. Either way, as a automobile hobbyist you will be taxed significantly more.

The Connecticut legislature want to raise another 2 million plus in taxes and they are focusing on a single and specific group of hobbyists to do it. That is why the Sema Action Network and others oppose the bill.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If your qualifying antique vehicle were taxed at a maximum assessed value (MAV) of $500 it would now be taxable at a max assessed value of $2500. If the mill rate were 4% (I don't know what it is in Connecticut) as in the previous example at $500 MAV you would pay $20 in tax. If your MAV goes to $2500 using the 4% you would now be taxed $100. Additionally the Bill calls for increasing the requirements to be considered an antique automobile from 20 years to 30 years. Those cars between 20 and 30 years of aged will now be taxed at a higher rate. Either way, as a automobile hobbyist you will be taxed significantly more.

The Connecticut legislature want to raise another 2 million plus in taxes and they are focusing on a single and specific group of hobbyists to do it. That is why the Sema Action Network and others oppose the bill.
Well put. I have no dog in this fight, but I understand that there is a personal property tax in CT. Because cars are registered, they are easy for the tax collector to assess. Coin collectors, for example, largely avoid the tax. That does seem unfair.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glad I live in Washington. I paid $350 for collector tabs and I never have to license/register ever again.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well put. I have no dog in this fight, but I understand that there is a personal property tax in CT. Because cars are registered, they are easy for the tax collector to assess. Coin collectors, for example, largely avoid the tax. That does seem unfair.
Taxing personal property is wrong. It's paid for with money that has already been taxed. What makes a state government think they have a right to charge you to own a vintage car or a coin collection?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Glad I live in Washington. I paid $350 for collector tabs and I never have to license/register ever again.
Don't be so quick to gloat. We could very well be next. In fact, there have been several proposals floated in recent years to significantly change our classic car registration rules. The people with collector or YOM plates who use their crappy 1977 Chevy as a daily driver are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

The $350 you paid must include the tax on the value of the vehicle. All it costs to register a collector vehicle in Washington is the title transfer fee which is around $40 and valid tabs which should be under $50 for any car old enough to qualify.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wisconsin has a $200 one time fee for "collector" cars (over 25 years old) plus the usual title transfer, sales tax and wheel tax fees.
Subsequent collector vehicles are $150 one time fee plus the rest. The total for my '66 Mustang that I bought last fall ran $560, but I don't have to give the state another penny - ever.
(not for this car anyway)

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's not just the Democrats, it's also the "Cut taxes and spend Republicans" which results in our state and local governments searching for new ways to generate revenue.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If we weren't running off to every poor third world sh!t hole on the planet to play policeman there would be more than enough in the coffers to pay our bills and things like this wouldn't even be on the radar. Now we run off to war with places that we really shoudn't be in to start with ( I remember Viet Nam very clearly...do you? What did we really gain by that mess???). Remember that this middle east attack/war was to get Osama Bin-Ladden and bring him to trial or kill him to start with...what ever happened to that idea and goal....the longer we stay over there and meddle in things that those countries have been fighting over for thousands of years, the more young americans will die. It used to be that the only time that America went to war was to protect something that we had bonifided interest in, explain to me how/why our goverment played nice with Gah"daffy" ...called him friend, lent him money and sold him weapons and then does an about face and tries to remove him the following year. We knew all along that the guy was a turd and did these things to his people, but our goverment supported him and called him a friend, even had his pathetic a$$ to the White House several times in the recent past...then they act like this is all new and we spend millions of dollars to bomb the $hit out of the weapons that we gave him and that fourtune could have been spent right here for and on the American people, so that senior citizens wouldn't have to make a choice as to whether to heat or eat in the winter months,we build schools for them...but not for our own, we supply food to them, but our citizens go hungry and sleep under bridges, families are living in their cars...our own poor families sometimes don't even make the cut for assistance for their children to recieve a warm meal at school, the children are given a cheese sandwich so that they are not turned away in the lunch line. Someday...whether you are a democrat or a republican we will stand up and be counted and be heard we we say ... WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH, and it is time to bring 'em home and start taking care of the home front first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts