Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '69 XR 7 came with non-power drum brakes on all four corners. Switching it over to discs up front and drums in the rear, still non-power. Upgrading the master and wondering if a proportioning valve from a Disc/Drum set up with a booster will work for my non-power application. My guess is "yes" but I figured I would ask the pros. Here's my '69 power disc/drum proportioning valve.
Thanks
Twig Gas Electrical wiring Wire Art

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the exact same thing with my 69 XR7 4 speed. I found the pedal height was a little high so an adjustable brake rod was used to get the pedal lower. The pedal feel was a bit hard. I read about going to a 7/8" or 15/16" bore master cylinder would help that issue. So I did that using a 74 Maverick MC because they had factory non power front disc brakes. The feel is much softer (15/16" bore) I am considering installing a manual proportioning valve to get more braking to the front discs. I rebuilt the proportioning valve but I feel it is not doing the job correctly. The conversion was also with factory Cougar disc brake assembly from a donor car, not aftermarket. That's my 2 cents hop it helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts