Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the correct placement for the prop rod in the trunk on an Eliminator? I have one but have no clue where the holes should be. :confused:
thanks-

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys - anyone out there with a 70 Eliminator? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
prop rod

Bob
i have my eliminator but someone drilled a hole in the tailight housing in the inside.But i have seen a 70 also w/ a hole in the right rear 1/4 extension.But i just looked into a book called clasic motorbooks photofacts MERCURY COUGAR 1967-1973 and on page 52 it shows in the upper right hand corner that the trunk prop rod hole goes into the right rear 1/4 extension. its more or less about a inch away from where the 1/4 extension and the 1/4 meet .
hope this helps out somewhat
pat.
p.s. the hole as i can see it it is no where near the tailight ok? it looks like its about 1 inch down from the top n 1 1/2 inches across from where the extension n the quarter meet.
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator(MADCATT turning into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Bill

Bill
i looked at a better shot of it here in another book and to me here it looks like its dead center of the 1/4 extension on the right side but more closer to where it meets the trunk jamb channell. where it curves the contour of the trunk channel before it drops off? Go 1 inch above that and it looks like its a exact match of where it should be.
Sorry but the other book doesnt show to well of the picture where it actually goes, so hope fully this will help
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Bob

Bob
i apologize , i dunno what made me think of calling you bill i just written you a reply just a few minutes ago.. Sorry bout that my bad
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch, Pat.
It looked like the qtr ext was the way to go, but since the the taillight was also usable I was hoping someone could enlighten me. I don't need it concourse, but if I'm gonna add a hole I would like it close to correct. :)
No need to apologize for the name slip, I have a guy at work that calls me Paul. He's real hard of hearing, we think he reads lips most of the time, so we've stopped trying to correct him. :p:
Thanks again!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Factory rear wing spoilers

Bob, Bill, Pat,... whaterver... ;)

The spoilers were heavy enough that the regular torsion springs couldn't hold the lid up with any certainty, hence the prop rod. I know of two original 69-70 Mustangs that have the holes in the quarter extension, and none that have the hole anywhere else. ASS-uming (there I go again ;) ) that since the Cougars and Mustangs were coming down the same assembly line at the same time, I'd guess that the plant workers put it in the same general location for both cars. That's just a guess, but a relatively edjumicated guess. :p:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Bob

My pleasure bob
whoever decided to put the hole in my 70 shouldve left it where i twas and thats in the 1/4 extension.Imean it looks ok in the tailight panel but after seeing the pictures i now know itis incorrect, and wonderwhy it was put there? Oh well just another part that needs to be fixed nothing to major hehe..
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminatorMADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts