Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer fast approaching what projects does everyone have in mind for their
Cougars? I have two money permitting. First find the leak in my trans(FMX). It really
only leaks after it sits for a few days or more. Second Replace my rear leaf springs. The car sits way to low in the rear...
Would be interested to know what everyone else has planned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd just like to get the other quarter panel and wheelhouse on. Currently trying to finish my '65 Mustang 2+2. Then it's full bore on the Cougar. I did score a power steering set up for the Cougar last week.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just finished doing all of the interior on the '69 except the seats. Will do the seats as the summer approaches. Did the leaf springs last weekend. For the summer will most likely do little things on the camaro since the convertibles pretty much get put away during that time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
GEDC0664.jpg I found a set of shorty headers to put on the green standard. Tired of the headers bottoming out when going down curves, hope to do that soon.
Sal

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine is have the car ready to take to Cruisin' Grand here in lovely Escondido. So....I have the engine build, 4R70W swap, body work and paint to finish up in about 3 months.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Main goal is to get the cat in paint - we have a baby on the way, so if I can get it in paint before then I can do the interior assembly as time permits. I would really like to get it on the road this summer, but we will see what happens...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I have a fresh steering box to swap in along with a custom Flaming River univeral joint in place of the rag joint. But I need to pull the driver's side header first for working room. In addition, I got one of the Opentracker camber locking kits for the lower control arms figuring I'll put that on after the alignment, after the steering box swap. But I'm also considering a one piece export brace which I'll also have to paint. Other than that, it's the usual: change the oil, grease the front end, polish the wheels and a good overall cleaning and detailing.

But all this will have to come AFTER I get the wife's Olds Vert on the road first. It needs an oil change, and I'm hoping to make up a custom driver's side exhaust for duals on a car that never had them before.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like to see what everyone is doing with/to their Cougars. From major upgrades to general
maintence. I know most people do a lot of their work during the winter months to get ready
for summer. Hoping to see some more projects pop up here. Good luck and be sure to keep
us all updated on the progress.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I plan to buy a 68 S-code XR7 that I have been arm wrestling with for over a year. Put it back together, wax it, give the once over and then sell it......

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I am gathering parts now for the "Cal-tracs" I am building. Then hoping to work on metal repair and get the thing in primer. Will be attending some car shows in it this summer, but not entering it, still too ugly. Oh and lets not forget the hopeful wheels and tires I got picked out. Saving my pennies now.

I like those headers Sal. Where did you find those? I am half tempted to put shorties on mine since I like the low look too, just wondering if it will effect performance.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I'm installing the Classic Auto Air A/C engine compartment upgrade kit to my otherwise stock engine compartment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to know how that goes...

·
Registered
442 Posts
1970fastcat headers were ordered from Sandersons Headers in SanFrancisco. # Item FC4 $353.00 uncoated and ceramic is about 150.00 more. They were delivered quickly. 1 800 669 2430. Will let you know how they perform, with 3 " tubes and flowmasters.

jbcingcougar, I love my classic auto air upgrade so much I ordered the kit for my non air vert that is finally being restored.

Sal

·
Registered
97 Posts
i hope to have my 1970 xr7 2.3 turbo convert on its wheels and running by fall of 2011.
if money permits i will have it in paint ready for the seats to be put in this winter.
the car sofar has had all the rust sandblasted and missing metal replaced.
still fitting the engine and trans in place.
i still have a/c componants that i have to figure out how to hook up and allot of wireing for the ECM computer system.
so i have a long way to go yet.
View attachment 24857

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've been unemployed now for two weeks but have just about caught up on my projects, I replaced all the door handles and cranks, new hockey sticks (rear window moulding) inst the pass side mirror have done the pass side grill with the new cat and background on the headlight cover what a pain to sperate all the chrome rails from the grill (goin to start the drivers side on monday) put in the rear speaker kit, got the engine leak fixed, I still have the back-up light assy's to finish. Have done so much little stuff lately Im almost done. Thanks so much to WCCC and Copy Cat. Oh I did get one of the new drivers side dash units but will wait on the pass side and do it all at once!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just ordered a bunch of front suspension fasteners (http://www.amkproducts.com/default.htm) to go with my already new front suspension pieces...going to pre-assemble the entire front suspension on my replacement front clip prior to the 'transfer'....the rest of the car is a story of it's own

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Just ordered a bunch of front suspension fasteners (http://www.amkproducts.com/default.htm) to go with my already new front suspension pieces...going to pre-assemble the entire front suspension on my replacement front clip prior to the 'transfer'....the rest of the car is a story of it's own

You have that 1969 front clip looking pretty good. No plans to weld up those holes in the shock towers?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't know how to weld unfortunately :(....but yes, I do have plans to weld up those 4 holes up....I will leave it for my body man when he does the 'transfer'...also just purchased the 90 degree grease fittings for the upper control arms

1 - 20 of 29 Posts