Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am borderline OCD on a lot of things in my life and when it comes to cars I'm worse than most. I wanted to spew a bit of what my future proejcts are and then maybe hear some other folks projects. So here's my "To-Do" list for the next 10 years. Share your own!!

67-68 Fastback: I have wanted to draft up drawings for this for years. When One Punch had the Orange fastback in his Sig for the longest time I was like "Damn I just have to do that". I'll rescue a std 67-68 for cheap and then try and work out the logistics of either a Merc or Ford Fastback roof. The Mustang fastback roofline would be easiest just due to availability but I'm not sure I'm sold on it yet :)

70 vert Eliminator clone: Sure these are a dime a dozen, sure they never existed but it's my vert and it's my money and I just want it. It's in progress now.

70 Fairlane 500: Love these rare cars. Always have. Want one.

66 Fairlane 500: Another great style/year of pony car. Not a common car to see around but still not completely impossible to find a solid project car so looking forward to this one.

67-68 Cougar 500: I just love the fact that despite being a "Dealer Option" this was a nascar tribute promotion and so little is known about it and so few exist today. I put alot of work into researching either a shock tower delete (mustang 2 swap) or a shock tower notch to incorporate a monster stroker into the 67-68 cars. This project will allow me to try that out. Sure it's just badging and color combo but I'll build the Nascar tribute that I want, 390 based 428 SCJ stroker with tri-power.

EDIT: 69 Mustang Grande: Always thought these were one of the nicest looking mustangs. Love the way the dual headlights are done and I'm definitely a grande/notchback fan over the fastback. Should be an easy resto when I get the time / space.

I'm a car junkie guys. I know a lot of us here are so share your plans :) Let's see what's coming down the pipe.

Mark

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know it is weird but I think I may get a 60s econoline 5 window truck. I think I will buy a painted driver and pick at it. I bought my cougar with too much of a blank slate. No interior, poor white paint job, etc. A start like that lets the imagination run wild.

Other than that, I could go for a 69 mach 1, A 69 charger, or a 55 f100...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine is to finish the two I have now: 70 Cougar XR7 coupe & 74 F250 Crew & get both on road come this spring Other than that here would be my list:
30's 4 Door Hot Rod Hudson, Ford etc..
60's Mustang Convertible with 4 speed & either 289 or 302
67-70 Cougar Convertible with 4 speed
69-70 Cougar Eliminator
49 Mercury lead sled
69 Charger

·
Registered
389 Posts
68 cougar. oh wait. thats the project i have now. and i just had to have it. damnit. haha

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I am actually hoping to work a deal on a car I sold 14 years ago. 65 Mustang fastback shelby clone. It is the number one "wish I had never sold it!" cars I have had. If I get it back I will prep it for cruising whereas it was built for auto-crossing and has a lack of creature comforts. Things like AC, ps, AOD would be in its future. We will see. Otherwise the 55 Fairlane is a project that will eat up those funds if the Stang does not come to pass.

·
Registered
367 Posts
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 (4-door) (Family car): I was 14 and living in a small town I used to wander the salvage yard and was completely enthralled with a 64 Galaxie that was just sitting waiting to be dismantled more...the yard owner didn't want to much for it, I was just too young for the task...so I tacked it on my list - "if I ever have a family, I want that to be my family car".
1970 Cougar Convertible

And if I ever hit the lottery I would have to get a 66-67 GTO project to work on with my dad (he is not too into restorations, but it has always been on my lottery list - I would just like to have that experience with him).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 65 mustang as my first project 20 years ago :) cut my teeth (and many other body parts) on it. Was awesome.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
71 Cuda Vert (Hemi as long as I'm dreaming! --- I'd give my left nut), 55 or 56 f100 modded, 41 Willy's modded, 48 Anglia heavily modded, 64 Galaxy modded.....I just realized I can't leave anything alone!! Must be a sickness I have.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same as many others, I'd first like to finish what's "work in progress"...which currently includes:
My '68 GTO (runner/driver, some small improvements ongoing prior to restoration)
My '71 Javelin SST (also runner/driver, been collecting lot's of hard to find parts over the last years)
My '70 XR7 convertible (runner/driver, should be mechanically good after winter projects are done)
What I'd like to add:
'68 Charger (know of a 2-owner RT/SE that may be for sale)
mid-late 70s Trans Am (must have the Pontiac 400 or 455)
'59 Chevy (2-door hardtop or El Camino)
Too many others to list....or fit in the garage! I'm good at dreaming about them and buying them, not so good at selling to make room for more...
Jeff

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Once I finish the Cougar, I would like to get a first generation Bronco to build. After that, maybe a couple of other Cougars and various antique motorcycles. I want to restore another BSA Lightning just like my first bike, and and early F-Head Harley and a Norton Commando.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I patiently awaiting the key to this. As it sits, it runs and drives. It will get lowered while updating the brakes and steering, converted from a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton and rewired. The body will stay AS IS and will become my shop truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hey Mark - did you ever do anything with this truck?

·
Registered
630 Posts
i have 67 390 in progress , a 69 xr7 vert. in progress , a 70 coupe driveable but working on and a 70 mustang coupe driveable but working on , a 65 mustang coupe that will probably never be done wife bought it and my 11 roush which i just drive and smile

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Hey Mark - did you ever do anything with this truck?

Father In Law hasn't turned it loose yet. He still has it and I helped him swap in a later model rearend to get rid of the 4:88 or 5:30 something rear gear. Then he yanked the Y-Block engine and is rebuilding it right now. When I said I was "patiently awaiting".... well, I still am. LOL

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'd like to build a '66 fastback Mustang. Always wanted one. Came close once, but didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

As a terminal project, I'd like to find a Ferrari 250 of any permutation available and get to restore that to factory specs. If I had my druthers, I'd like to get my hands on the California Spyder LWB. Only 50 made. Very rare, obviously. But one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever built, imo. If they were priced like a used Maverick, I'd still want one. Has nothing to do with value, for me. I think it's a gentleman's quintessential factory hot rod.
250spyderlwbsilver.jpg

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well finish my 2 now,
then, mid 80's 2 dr grand marquis , 392 efi stroker on a 03+ frame , 88-91 nose and tail, 95+ dash
Fairmont futura, or a zepher, 351 or larger , efi updated chassis and brakes, 86 stang dash
I would love another 78-79 f250 xlt super cab prefrable

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm getting the itch for a mid fifty's fat fender truck again......I see quite a few on CL at the moment taunting me. Gotta get focused on the vert first though - can't keep myself from looking though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My tastes are a little schizophrenic, but this is what I'm looking for:

CTS-V Wagon with a 6-speed manual - It's new, but I would make it into a project.
Land Rover Defender 110 from the early 90s. Wife's family is from South Africa, I wonder if they can ship one...
1970-72 GMC truck. 2 tone. Need a good parts truck. Wouldn't restore it, just drive it.
67 Fairlane GT. Have always had a thing for these.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
My list as i been thinking of it.

Finish my 70 vert, then build a 94-98 mustang GT convertible for the wife(yellow in color) then focus at either a 68-72 nova or a 69 chevelle malibu. but these last 2 will be down the road as the wifes car will be next.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
My tastes are a little schizophrenic, but this is what I'm looking for:

CTS-V Wagon with a 6-speed manual - It's new, but I would make it into a project.
Land Rover Defender 110 from the early 90s. Wife's family is from South Africa, I wonder if they can ship one...
1970-72 GMC truck. 2 tone. Need a good parts truck. Wouldn't restore it, just drive it.
67 Fairlane GT. Have always had a thing for these.
I love the CTS-V wagon and think they're one of the best modern sleepers. I want one too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts