Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More updates this month, check it out. Chris Campbell is a buddy who's building a wicked Cougar. Cortex Racing and Kertz Fab are turning wrenches on it...I just hope it doesn't get LS power....

·
Registered
22 Posts
......I hope it doesn't get LS power either! I think that car currently has a late model 5.0 in it. In the first article on the build up, I believe they said they may use the 5.0 to build on for power.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt it on the 5.0 but who knows. Cortez Racing are the guys really designing it and if you've ever checked out their website, that bad to the bone 65 Mustang with the huge flares, Griggs SLA, 3 link out back is believe it or not running a dry sump LS7. Bad car, makes me sick they're running GM power. The rational behind it is they can get big power, right out of the box, compact, light with an ECM. Plug and play performance. It's a cop out if you ask me since you can get turnkey motors from practically everywhere now, but who am I to judge....I'm building a British Ford after all.......

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I doubt it on the 5.0 but who knows. Cortez Racing are the guys really designing it and if you've ever checked out their website, that bad to the bone 65 Mustang with the huge flares, Griggs SLA, 3 link out back is believe it or not running a dry sump LS7. Bad car, makes me sick they're running GM power. The rational behind it is they can get big power, right out of the box, compact, light with an ECM. Plug and play performance. It's a cop out if you ask me since you can get turnkey motors from practically everywhere now, but who am I to judge....I'm building a British Ford after all.......
I see no issue with with LSx power. Those engines are hard to beat when evaluated on a power to weight to dollar matrix.

Andrew

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if I had 20k to buy a crate motor and I was building a Ford/Merc, I'd still open the Ford Racing parts book. Call me old fashioned...Ford in a Ford, Chevy in a Chevy, Mopar in a Mopar.
I was at Cortex after a track day event once looking at the 65 Mustang they built and I gotta say it's a wicked piece. Suspension, brakes, the flares, the fabrication and design is top notch. But when they opened the hood.....it was a let down. I'm not disagreeing that LS power is great bang for the buck, but so is almost every Chevy motor when you stack it up against a Ford. It's always been more expensive to run a Ford/Mopar. It's a good thing there are still diehards in the world or every FE motor would have been melted down for scrap.
The all aluminum 427 Windsor in the Ford parts book is only 14k. This whole thing has struck a nerve with me obviously but if you wanted LS power then we might as well all sell our Cougars and go buy a Vette.....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
"Well, if I had 20k to buy a crate motor and I was building a Ford/Merc, I'd still open the Ford Racing parts book. Call me old fashioned...Ford in a Ford, Chevy in a Chevy, Mopar in a Mopar.
I was at Cortex after a track day event once looking at the 65 Mustang they built and I gotta say it's a wicked piece. Suspension, brakes, the flares, the fabrication and design is top notch. But when they opened the hood.....it was a let down. I'm not disagreeing that LS power is great bang for the buck, but so is almost every Chevy motor when you stack it up against a Ford. It's always been more expensive to run a Ford/Mopar. It's a good thing there are still diehards in the world or every FE motor would have been melted down for scrap.
The all aluminum 427 Windsor in the Ford parts book is only 14k. This whole thing has struck a nerve with me obviously but if you wanted LS power then we might as well all sell our Cougars and go buy a Vette....."

I agree 100 percent! It strikes a nerve with me too, when people cross breed their automobiles. That is exactly why I am planning a 55 yvehc pick up truck, with a 429/460 FORD power plant. Pure, simple revenge....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I joke with a couple of my hot rod buddies...."you spent 60k building your '32 then put a $500 small block Chev in it....too bad."

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I Agree too! ___BUT, the sad fact of the matter is, Chebby's are cheaper to build (even prior to beign gubbment owned --- trying my Jimmy Carter imitation in type! :>) ) If your talking production motors they are hard to beat on a $ basis, but on a crate motor - FUGETTA ABOUT IT _ the LS holds it's own $ for $ there and then some. The 5.0's have been in production long enough now with the aftermarket to support some very impressive HP for $ --- now that I think about it!! So it does beg the question why deviate? Especially when you have to fab everything to make it work? IDK - it's just my nature to keep like with like I suppose. I'll admit I like seeing varieties in the 20's - 40's hot rods though, just because that was the era when you had to take anything you could get and junkyards weren't as plentiful. From the 50's on up it's another story.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is very nice, Kertz Fab does a fantastic job on all Cortex's stuff....more to the update here. Ran into Filip Trojanek at the Shelby Club Mini Nats on Sunday. Had the whole front suspension on display, way cool. Hmmm, put it on the credit card or stay married??? Talked about Project Max Effort, looks like Chris is going to put in a Roush/Yates cup motor, slightly detuned of course but still a 358 with all the dry sump plumbing, etc...So wheeewww, big sigh of relief it's NOT going to be an LS...
But seriously thinking about doing the rear setup they have that was featured in PHR a couple months back...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know, I don't know. I'm guessing FR9 seeing as you can buy them right off the Roush/Yates website. The older Cleavor's I would think are getting scarce and pricey. Guy had a set of bare C3's and a Roush GT manifold at Infineon and he wanted $1600. The historic stock car guys must be gobbling them up...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The FR9 would be the mill to use, for sure, if you have the cash. It's better in nearly every way.

I have nothing against the LS engines, though. They're good lumps. I really like the Toyota/Lexus V8 engines too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You know, I don't know. I'm guessing FR9 seeing as you can buy them right off the Roush/Yates website. The older Cleavor's I would think are getting scarce and pricey. Guy had a set of bare C3's and a Roush GT manifold at Infineon and he wanted $1600. The historic stock car guys must be gobbling them up...
Actually it's not quite a true Cup Car engine since I wanted to stay away from all the unique parts, but it is an aluminum 438ci Clevor hybrid that uses last-gen NASCAR technology.

No FR9 for now, maybe next time ;-)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you want for it? I was considering trying it out with the leaf setup still in it even though that's a no-no (or so I've heard)....Do you have the cross bar it attatches to???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm building a similar car to Max Effort, and in fact, I'm going to steal the concept slightly, black hood, trans am stripes on the fenders. My car is getting a Twin Turbo 408W, backed by a TKO 600 and I have Total Control Products coil overs all the way around, FAB 9 rear axle, rack and pinion steering, and AC.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm building a similar car to Max Effort, and in fact, I'm going to steal the concept slightly, black hood, trans am stripes on the fenders. My car is getting a Twin Turbo 408W, backed by a TKO 600 and I have Total Control Products coil overs all the way around, FAB 9 rear axle, rack and pinion steering, and AC.
Just a friendly FYI but those fender stripes are known as FIA stripes. They were first used on Shelby Cobras in the early '60s to differentiate the similarly painted team cars when they were out on the track and from a distance.

Trans-Am Cougars didn't use fender stripes, but Bud Moore did put colored tape on the grills for the same purpose.

I think FIA stripes are very cool and would look good on a Cougar.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts