Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got sick and tired of the woefully horrible 30+ year gauges in my cat. Since my cat is fairly modified already, I don't feel too horrible about popping a complete set of aftermarket gauges into her...

of course, while maintaining the originality enough to put it back stock if I ever decide to.

So what am I doing? I'm sticking a full complement of AutoMeter ProComp Ultra-lite's into a custom made instrument bezel, which when done will be painted black with the silver ProComps set into it.

I got started on the job today and fabbed up the basic outline of the bezel and made the holes for the Electronic Speedo and tach... There are going to be 3 - 2" gauges on either side, including:

Fuel Level
Air/Fuel Ratio
Voltmeter
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Tranny Temp

Along with switches for the air/fuel gauge to switch between left and right O2 sensors and a switch to disable the gauge when needed.

More pics to follow...

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Logan, you beat me to it!! I have been wanting to do the EXACT same thing!! How much would it cost to have you make up another cluster (Less the guages)? I love that look, and would really like to do the same. And out of curiousity, if you don't mind, how much would all the guages run me?

Thanks

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I had done much the same thing with my old Camaro. I replaced the stock gauges with Stewart-Warner. I did a direct swap with the gauges though, and everything in the stock location. Besides the 160mph speedo and 8000rpm tach, that left me with an ammeter, fuel gauge, oil pressure and instead of the clock I put a oil temp.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gauges listed above and appropriate senders, including two oxygen sensor kits and a electronic speedo sender run almost $800 through Summit Racing...

The bezel is easy, just head to home depot and pick up a 1' by 2' sheet of metal, usually over by the threaded rods and such. Then just lay the gauges out and break out the hole saws and dremel. :)

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Logan

Great idea

Building the same thing using acrylic plastic as mounting material. and facia Will have photos over Christmas. Was going to use Nordskog digital gauges or Classic dual guages but ended up costing too much.

Will be using some replica Smiths gauges (like MGB) and digital bar graphs for fuel and volts. All indicator LEDs are going along bottom of panel so steering wheel doesn't obscure them

Copy of Wiley Lives 70 dash below

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a nice look Leon, I hadn't thought of covering the bezel with vinyl instead of painting it... Hmmmmm...I should go to Hobby Lobby and scope out the vinyl selection, easier than paint, might look better too...

Actually, nor had I considered my turn signals... doh!!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Logan,

Always taking the easy way out, eh? ;) You can always go with black wrinkle paint, or if you're going the custom route, why not go to your local woodworkers store and get a small piece of real wood veneer? I mean, it is less than a sixteenth of an inch thick (probably more like a 1/32nd) and will take a nice lustre with some varnish. How 'bout a burlwood? Glue the veneer to the aluminum stock (or whatever you're making the faceplate out of), varnish it, then just mount the gauges and wait for the 'ooohs and aaahhs!'

This is easy for me to say since I'm not the one doing it, eh?

Milo

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
logan logan logan and you have a freind who could make those out of billet for ya which you could polish to a nice luster. Those i would have no problem making. by the way did santa arrive with your gifts?:D

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Logan

I am mounting the guages onto a sheet of acrylic plastic and then having a sheet cut to fit around the rim of the gauges - to fit flush with the rim of the smaller gauges. The front sheet will be glued to some stand-offs so I can mount the indicator bulbs through the rear sheet.

I will be sending the front sheet out to be flow coated in aluminium look

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
options options options... dang... I like the wood idea... Blend in with the whole XR7 thing... Hmmmm...

Cougarguy, Yeah, they arrived today... It almost felt like Christmas... :) I have to decide where to put em now..

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Does anyone make a 6,000 or 8,000 rpm tach and gauge set in silver faces. All the autometer stuff is 10,000 rpm - which is a bit dumb when the engine redlines at 5,500. Metric speedo would be a bonus

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Almost done! Just have to install the left turn indicator and I'll be ready to wire it in... Yikes this has been a lot of work so far...

Lower left switch turns the Air/Fuel gauge on/off and the toggle to the right of the A/F gauge controls which O2 sensor it's monitoring, left or right.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Logan

Looks neat. Couple of things you might want to consider - a 14" steering wheel will block some of the gauges and the indicator lights

So when you pull it apart to do it again ;) you might also want to get a centre off dual throw switch for the air/fuel and mount the indicators down lower so you can see them ( got caught before with first prototype for 69)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The toggle is indeed a center off, 2 circuit switch. Thought of that one. :)

The turn indicators are probably up too high, but I figured we'll see how it looks...

Here's a picture of the 14.2" Nardi wheel that's going on...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts