Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sorry soooo sorry its not a Cougar, but i still eagerly await it. its a Q code 72 Mustang Mach 1 with a 4 spd manual and a 3.50 traction lok. ( so sue me, i like different cars!!) as you can see its pretty rough, but im geting it in exchange for paint and body on a 65 Mustang. i need help though, i want to change the color on it. ( maybe ) i like the black, but i think that might be too cop baiting. ( but oooooooooohh will tha suit the 4 spd in it!!!!!! ) im thinking about a Highland Green or other dark green ( a salute to my two favortie car movies, Bullitt and the GOOD version of Gone in 60 Seconds ) but i vae not seen a dark green on this body style before. if anyone knows of a picture or site that has this body style in Highland Green ( or any dark green ) please let me know. i was thinking about some white stripes too, but i dont know. i always appreciate any comments about what i am getting into.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
theres the data plate on it too, just to prove what i say is true. and yes, that is the Fastback in the back ground i have to do first pretty clean except for he rust in the roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
I really like the "Grabber Green" on those mach 1's -with the black mach 1 stripes. - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, an idea hit me today as i was watching a James Bond movie. i now kind of like Competition Orange. There was a 71 in one of the movies ( i dont remember which one though ). It looked pretty sweet. I know its even more cop baiting than black, but the Cougar is still going to be my daily driver. I just planned to have the Mach 1 as a weekend toy of sorts.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Back in the days

Oh, great. Here he goes again with another one of his 'back when' stories. :rolleyes:

My buddies and I were in to racing and restoring old Mustangs, so they had their Mustangs (Mach 1s) and me having to be different, I had my Cougars.

We restored many Classic Mustangs over the years. 68 Mustang convertible, 71 Mustang, and a 73 Mach 1 351C-4V 4-spd. That last 73 Mach was some sort of dark green metallic with silver Mach 1 stripes. When we got it all done, it looked fabulous! You don't see too many in that color, either. Too bad we sold it when we got done. Hey, you gotta support that expen$ive racing habit somehow!

If you like green, go for it! Find a nice dark green metallic you like and put on the silver Mach 1 stripes. You'll like it!

·
Registered
364 Posts
i've posted this link before...

but here are the standard Mustang (and Ford/LM) colors for 1972: http://www.metromustang.com/FordExterior/1972ExteriorPaint.html

there are several hot greens (that lime is a killer and "anti-establishment green" sounds terrific in a 60s kinda way) and some other great colors. you could have your cake and eat it too if you use a color that it could have been that year. selling it someday, you would at least be keeping it authentic.

·
Registered
364 Posts
WHOA!

:eek2:
those are some hot looking mustands! that grabber green looks like someone's retirement fund. the lime is terrorificly seventies, though.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ok, here i go again. a brainstorm hit me as i was looking through some old video tape i had lying around, i saw a small part of an old Motor Trend TV that i had recorded. they had one of the Hurst Firebirds on there. the car was painted black with a gold inset on the hood. I like it alot. i am thinking about that for the Mach 1 now. keep the rockers black, keep the front and rear valance black. slap on a chin spoiler ( no rear one though ) gold Mach 1 stripes down the sides and the inset on the hood. i like how tha sounds. i dont know about what shade of gold yet though. i am leaning towards Aztec Gold though off of a 98 Mustang. i think it ill kick ass. i am still thinking about the side stripes though, im not sure if i should keep those on the car, as it doesnt have them now and looks fine. but i want the hood done for sure. does anyone make a stencil of sorts for this car?? i dont want to have to eyeball itor anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts