Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may or may not know I began the process of refurbishing my interior over Memorial Day weekend. I had a three week work stoppage due to having the wrong headliner and rear window seal and having to go away with the military for awhile. So anyway, last week I ordered the correct headliner and rear window seal and it came in in time for this past weekend. I finished dying the seats and painting the trim. I was able to get the roof insulation in and the headliner is up but not glued down yet. I figured I would give it a couple days to stretch out a little before I glued it down. The dash and the seats came out looking like brand new and I am happy with them. Thanks to Mark for showing me how to do this. Sunday it was 105 in my garage so I did not get a whole lot done. This weekend is supposed to be better so hopefully I can get it finished. I have been following Vinnies advice and laying the carpet out in the sun every chance I get and then laying it on top of the roof at night. It is really starting to lay out nice now and should be easier to work worth (once again knock-on-wood). I just need to figure out how to put the back glass back in...lol.

Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tom,

Make sure you put in your molding retaining clips before putting in the back glass. A whole lot easier that way. After you put the sealer in the rubber, take a thin rope and put in the the gasket that the pinch weld fits in and overlap the ends at the bottom center and tape to glass. Set the window in place and begin pulling one side of the rope and work it around pulling the lip of the gasket over the pinch weld. You will have to put some pressure to help the window suck down, sometimes you need to lightly slap it with a flat palm for it to suck all the way down in the corners. Don't beat on it though.

Another concern is to make sure you glue the headliner around the pinch weld good so that the rope doesn't peal it back when installing the rubber. Of course you removed the front windshield too in order to glue the headliner aroung that pinch weld??????? Just thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Vinnie. I did not pull the front window. On the 70 the liner does not go that far forward and is held in place by metal trim. I have been reading about the pulling the rope. It is a little confusing to me but i will play with it first and figure it out.

Tom

·
Registered
468 Posts
Back glass

70guncat said:
Thanks for the info Vinnie. I did not pull the front window. On the 70 the liner does not go that far forward and is held in place by metal trim. I have been reading about the pulling the rope. It is a little confusing to me but i will play with it first and figure it out.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Take pics of the process if you can - as I will be taking my Coug in for Body/Paint work shortly after the picnic, I will be at this same stage sooner than not. I too am a bit confused by the "rope" method but I'm sure everything will make more sense after I see what it looks like with the glass out. (I have been waiting to pull the back glass until AFTER we drive to the picnic and back - is it illegal to drive without a rear window?)

Looking forward to seeing your new and improved cat at the gathering.

-Andrew.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
atomicbob said:
Hey Tom,

Take pics of the process if you can - as I will be taking my Coug in for Body/Paint work shortly after the picnic, I will be at this same stage sooner than not. I too am a bit confused by the "rope" method but I'm sure everything will make more sense after I see what it looks like with the glass out. (I have been waiting to pull the back glass until AFTER we drive to the picnic and back - is it illegal to drive without a rear window?)

Looking forward to seeing your new and improved cat at the gathering.

-Andrew.
I will try and take pictures. Will depend on whether or not I have help. I do not know why it would be illegal to drive without rear glass. It is not illegal to drive without a roof....lol.

Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
Take the doors off too. lol

Tom, When you pull the rope out of the rubber it pulls the lip of the rubber over the pinch weld of the window opening. As you pull it around it pulls the lip over until you come around to where you started leaving you with an installed window. Just slapping it will help it sit all the way down into the opening.

When are you doing this. Maybe I will take a trip down if I get time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
purnlow said:
Take the doors off too. lol

Tom, When you pull the rope out of the rubber it pulls the lip of the rubber over the pinch weld of the window opening. As you pull it around it pulls the lip over until you come around to where you started leaving you with an installed window. Just slapping it will help it sit all the way down into the opening.

When are you doing this. Maybe I will take a trip down if I get time.
I am hoping to get it done this weekend. If I have problems figuring it out maybe I will just drive up to you. I have not driven the car since the May meeting so I am itching for an excuse. That way AtomicBob will not be the only one driving around without a rear winder :jump3: .

Tom

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool!! My Crow Enterprizes lap belts came in today. They are way kuul. I know the purist are cringing but I love em. Now all I need is a new package tray and sunvisor assembley.

Tom

·
Registered
643 Posts
atomicbob said:
Is it illegal to drive without a rear window?

-Andrew.
I sure hope not since mine has been tucked behind our couch in the living room since September. While it may not be illegal, it was a pain last January when some wet weather caught me unprepared...

Seriously, the Mercury Park Lane (not sure which year) had a rear window that could be rolled up and down, just like a station wagon. So it can't be illegal.

Considering the many recent posts about rear windows out of our cars, I'm half tempted to start a poll, "How many months has it been since your rear window was removed?" And as a subpoll, "How long was it out?"

·
Registered
627 Posts
Well the carb is on w/manual choke installed. I found a hole at the top center of the firewall that was the perfect fit for a choke cable.

160A alternator is in w/external regulator and wires spliced accordingly. The new alternator is wider than the old 55A dog and I probably should get a new, longer bracket. I don't think the positive battery connections on the alternator are touching any metal, but I'll do a better job of checking when its time to fire up.

The instrument gauges are almost in - at least enough to drive. I've got to put in the headers and drain the tank of the year old sludge and refill w/fresh petrol.

I'm getting nervous. I have visions of turning the ignition and having nothing happen - or worse.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Jeff,
I think with all the time and love you have put into everything will be just fine. Glad to see some great progress into your baby. I know your wife must be getting excited also.

Mark

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
ntgregory said:
Considering the many recent posts about rear windows out of our cars, I'm half tempted to start a poll, "How many months has it been since your rear window was removed?" And as a subpoll, "How long was it out?"
It is going on nearly 24 months since the rear glass was actually IN the car. Although I have not driven it further than to the gas station with no glass installed, and was not stopped by the local authorities. :ylsup:

As for progress, I wish I had the time right now, but I don't. Hopefully as we get deeper into summer I will have more time. Although I am still waiting for the engine rebuild to be completed by a guy in Sonoma. Maybe that will help to spur me to work on the car once I get the engine back.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Steve, I appreciate the lack of time to work on the car. I go through motivation issues on the car as well. Sometimes it just seems like its NEVER going to get done. Keep the faith and "git 'er done" :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well with a lot of help from Mark I now have a brand new looking interior with a few customized additions. I pulled the car out of the garage on the morning of the 4th and gave her a quick wipe down. I was going to drive it over to Marks Dads' house to put the rear window back in. I went to start it up and all I got was click click. So I charged up the battery with my charger. I came back out after the green light indicated that the battery was charged and tried again. Click click. I have been here before so I grabbed a screw driver and laid it across the solonoid posts and it fires right up. I back out of the driveway and realize that I do not have enough trans fluid in the trans (we changed the pan while it was in the air because of a leak). I put in another quart while the car is running. I jump in and drive around the block. The car did not seem to be going into gear very well so I pull over and check the fluid. Still a little low so I put in enough to fill to the line while the car is running and in neutral. So I get ready to go around the block again but my girlfriend comes out with breakfast so I eat while listening to the wonderful sound of my cougar running again. I get up to put my dishes away and grab a quick glass of OJ. While I am finishing up I hear the engine die. I go out and all I get again is click click..ugh. So I do the screw driver trick again and fried a wire. It seemed to be the wire that leads to the neutral safety switch. I follow the wire back and it seems that I must have scraped a little of the insulation off when I was reinstalling the Hurst quarter stick. I change it out and now it fires right up but dies after about 5 seconds. After starting it a few times I was looking around to see how the wire was doing that I replaced and it is not hot but I touched the voltage regulator and it was so hot it almost burned my finger. It is not supposed to be that hot is it? I am thinking that I should change it out and try a new one. Do you think that the neutral safety switch is bad now as well or is it ok since the car starts? I hope this does not keep me from going to the picnic as I was really looking forward to it. :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tom, the neutral safety switch is a switch to complete the circuit to send power to the starter and shouldn't have anything to do with the voltage regulator, except it may create an overload to the system thus the regulator when turning the key to the start position only. I would seem to think that the voltage regulator is going bad and giving you the problem, however a possible alternator problem may exist also overloading the regulator overheating it. Sometimes the regulator may just stick also. I would get a wiring diagram to follow the regulator wires to check it out for sure. I don't think a bad nuetral safety switch would give you a click, click sound. That most likely would be a voltage problem to the selinoid or the selinoid itself not giving the proper voltage to engage the stater. The regulator is in line from the key to the selinoid which is bypassed when the screwdriver is applied to the selinoid. The only puzzling thing you mentioned was that the car was quiting after 5 seconds which may bring up the issue of a bad key switch. Also if the trans linkage is off a bit it will have shift proplems as described.

Sorry if this is jumbled, I am writing it right before taking off from work.

Good Luck

Still not decided if going to picnic.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info Vinnie. I replied to this message last night but it did not take for some reason. I plan to follow some more wires tonight and see what I can find. This really sucks!

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts