Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a few cut off dates between early and late 1967 cougars, is there a quick way to check build date?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Other than checking the data plate for the scheduled build date, the only other thing I can think of is to look at the Mustang and Cougar tag book. There is a list in there of the VIN ranges, by plant/by month, for scheduled build dates.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also have a question about build dates.
My cars build month code is "U" which falls under second year month July. There are a list of "first year month" and "second year month" on the chart I printed out.
What is the purpose of that?

·
11,000 Posts
It means your '67 Cougar was scheduled for build in the month "U", July 1967. If your car had been scheduled for build in July 1966 it would have the date code "G".

I also have a question about build dates.
My cars build month code is "U" which falls under second year month July. There are a list of "first year month" and "second year month" on the chart I printed out.
What is the purpose of that?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the "mustang and cougar tag book"? I have a copy of cougars by the numbers, is that the same thing?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool! I'll be getting that one now too....

·
Registered
304 Posts
What does the DSO mean? Mine is Oakland. That doesn't mean that it was sold in Oakland does it? I have always told people my car has never left the bay area it's whole registered life. Being i am 2nd owner.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
DSO = District Sales Office. That is where your car was originally ordered through. It could have been sold at any delership within that DSO's territory.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it looks like my 67 was an "06F" car from "42" with a "6D" trim. Or, 6 June, ordered from St. Louis with a dark red levant interior. I do know that it is a one of two cars with its color scheme. Now.....WTH is "levant"?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My D.S.O. is Los Angeles. The cars manual (which is awesome to have) says it was sold in hollywood where the origional owner lived. Ended up being passed down to his grandson in Bakersfield which is where I got it from.
There are service coupons missing from the book too. Free oil changes and what not.
Southern California car her whole life. no rust! but huge dents. Original owner was losing his eye site and living in Hollywood parked his car in a parking garage every day and scraped those huge concrete pillars :( but yeah...
IMG_0615.jpg

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts