Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WARNING! - Stupid question coming up! :D

The other day I noticed that when I, at low speed on third, gave it some gas it seemed to slip, almost like it had a really high-stall converter. At higher speeds it didn't seem to slip, just at low speed.
This can't be good, I thought, and tested the other gears as well...
I might have fooled myself but it felt like somewhat the same on 1st and 2nd too...
It might be like it always has been but when I pushed the brakes and the gas at the same time I got the feeling that it reved higher than it used to for that speed. Can be just the stallspeed because I never did this test before so I have nothing to compare it to. (have no tach by the way...)
But anyway it seems to be slipping in third at least.
Checked the oil and the dipstick was "covered" in small particles, almost like dust, but the oil looked good and the level was fine.

How and what should I check to se exactly whats wrong?
I guess that it's slipping in third and there's litle mystery about that, but this is just my subjective feeling on what happens.
What is the dipstick trying to tell me? Just that 3rd is fried and nothing else, or is it time for a new tranny?
How can I best test if 1st and 2nd is OK? Both pedals to the metal and see what happens, or is there any other way?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not knowing anything more on troubleshooting, I wouldn't recommend doing a brake stand on an already "fragile" transmission... could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I don't like the metallic particles on your dipstick... with it just being third gear, I suspect your reverse-high clutch pack is going... What does reverse feel like?? Could be that the reverse gear is so low you won't feel anything mysterious. Unfortunately, sounds like it's time for a trip to your local transmission shop, but you may wait for some more feedback from some others here on the forum.

Ron.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess it's time to sink som money into the transmission....

Thanks for the input Ron,
I haven't tried reverse yet, and I don't know if I will... have to find a nice large area to test it on so I don't end up beside the road :)

But since it's time to scatter the car over the garage, the season is quickly comming to an end... I guess I'll just have it rebuilt anyway.

Or maybe it's AOD-time, who knows...
(but then I guess I'll need more than 3.0 gears in the rear... we'll see what happens...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts