Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Problems with an MSD distributor

7K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  woodsnake 
#1 ·
I started having problems with my Malory MSD distributor 6 weeks ago. One morning I went to start and the car, it just cranked, would not start. I found no fire to the distributor. Had it tested to find it was bad and bought a remanufactured MSD, stuck it in and could not get the car running. It would try to start but just misfire, backfire and would not stay running long enough to adjust the timing. I have tried to advance the distributor one tooth forward and then back to no avail. Finally, I stuck the brand new points distributor that has never been fired from my project vert and she fired right up. Drove it for a day or two and tried to put the MSD distributor back in with the same negative results. Tried another rebuilt MSD with the same results.

This is on my 1970 green standard w/ 351 C. I have 12V going from my starter switch to the cylinoid. 12V going from cylinoid to the positive on coil, a brand new stage 3 coil, and 12V going into and out of distributor. All of my grounds have been redone and cleaned.

She runs fine with the points distributor but won't even start with the new MSD.

Any suggestions? I have to leave in a few minutes but am looking forward to what you have to say. Sal

See less See more
#28 ·
#30 ·
I untaped some wires in the harness from the firewall to various switches such as oil sending unit and they need to be redone but the fluctuation starts at the ignition switch. The yellow wire has 12v going in with the key off but turn the key on and it drops as low as 11.5. The 2 wires that are hot are at the same volts. I'm going to change the ignition switch tomorrow to see if that works. The previous owner installed amps and woofers on a seperate power source but he taped into the ignition wire harness for the radio. I disconnected all of it hoping that there was a draw of current but did not help.

I can't understand why the car won't start as is because the distributor should work with as little as 9 volts.
Sal

#32 ·
Where the key goes in? I don't think so. The ignition on a 69 is in the dash, VS on the column for 1970.

#34 ·
Last night I went to the monthly Horseless carriage meeting and was discussing my problem with a few of the older more wiser gentlemen. One of the guys came over tonight and we replaced the hot wire from the ignition switch to the coil and the wire from the coil to the solenoid. She cranks up every time. He also adjusted the timing by ear and set the carburetor.

I do have a new problem, The power steering will only work from the center to the right. It will not work from the center to the left. In other words the turn to the left resembles Manual steering but the turn to the right is power assisted. I know the power steering pump doesn't know which way you are turning so it has to be in the steering ram or the gear box. Why can't I have something easy like a worn ball joint or a bad idler arm? Sal

#35 ·
So, you had broken wires in line? Setting engine specs by ear is fine for initial set up, but I think you will want to get an actual timing light and vacuum gauge on it before you start going down the road...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.