Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Problems with an MSD distributor

7K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  woodsnake 
#1 ·
I started having problems with my Malory MSD distributor 6 weeks ago. One morning I went to start and the car, it just cranked, would not start. I found no fire to the distributor. Had it tested to find it was bad and bought a remanufactured MSD, stuck it in and could not get the car running. It would try to start but just misfire, backfire and would not stay running long enough to adjust the timing. I have tried to advance the distributor one tooth forward and then back to no avail. Finally, I stuck the brand new points distributor that has never been fired from my project vert and she fired right up. Drove it for a day or two and tried to put the MSD distributor back in with the same negative results. Tried another rebuilt MSD with the same results.

This is on my 1970 green standard w/ 351 C. I have 12V going from my starter switch to the cylinoid. 12V going from cylinoid to the positive on coil, a brand new stage 3 coil, and 12V going into and out of distributor. All of my grounds have been redone and cleaned.

She runs fine with the points distributor but won't even start with the new MSD.

Any suggestions? I have to leave in a few minutes but am looking forward to what you have to say. Sal

See less See more
#2 ·
12v going into and out of the distributor? Isn't that the problem right there? Shouldn't that be like 50,000V or whatever? Not gonna get any spark out of a 12v signal.

#3 ·
Okay, looks like 12,000 to 40,000 is a more realistic range, from 30 seconds on Google. But 12V at the distributor means the ignition coil isn't doing anything. It should be stepping that 12V way way up, to a voltage high enough to create a spark.

#5 ·
What distributor do you have? Is it a Mallory or a MSD? If you are running a msd box 6AL or Digital 6 or the likes. There should be two wires in one connector that go to the distributor one is violet the other is green I think. Unplug that connector turn the ignition on and get a paper clip or piece of wire and just touch the box side of the harness together very briefly (Tap test) repeatedly the coil should fire. That will test the box if you have one.

#6 ·
I have the MSD distributor that has a built in module inside, so I don't have a box. I have a new harness and have spark from the coil to the distributor. I have not tested how much Volt the coil is putting out, but I have a spark tester and am getting spark to the plugs. I have 12 volts going to the distributor through the harness and spark to each contact inside the distributor cap. Sal

#8 ·
Almost sounds like a lose ground at the dist.

#9 ·
Will check whether orange or blue and meter coil voltage tomorrow. Thanks The coil is new. What could cause a week spark other than the coil? Sal

#10 ·
All of the grounds have been checked and cleaned. I have the ground from the battery to the block. The distributor is grounded to the manifold through a new harness and I put a new braided wire ground from the fire wall to the block.
I even grounded the distributor straight to the battery and there was no change.
Sal

#12 ·
According to what I have read, the MSD systems will work to full potential with as little as 9 volts. The only other things that can cause weak spark is high resistance in the plug/coil wires, or reversed polarity of the wires on the coil. I have seen cases of the rotor button burning through and grounding to the distributor shaft, but that usually causes a no spark issue at the spark plugs. Make sure you have the coil wired up correctly. Also look for carbon tracking under the dist. cap. It will look black and will be very tough to remove (if you can at all) if there are signs of carbon tracking or a faulty rotor, look for bad plugs, wires, or even loose or bad grounds.

#13 ·
The cap and wire are not new but do not have any signs of fatigue. The red wire is positive and the orange wire is negative. I have pulled plugs and cleaned them for fear of cylinders loading up with gas vapors and having vapor lock. I'll try to replace the coil wire and see if that helps. Thanks

The battery has had a work out but is kept on a charger the whole time that I'm working on it and test at 12V.

#14 ·
#15 ·
#16 ·
That is the distributor, and the plugs are as old as the cap and wires. I have owned the car for 2 years. It would be a cheap fix to change out plugs.

#18 ·
Replaced coil wire and installed a set of NGK's and still will not start. The car ran fine with the old MSD distributor and will run all day long with the points distributor. What am I missing?

#20 ·
Just went to MSD website. I want to verify that you have an 8350 dist. The diagram shows red to Pos side of coil. Orange to neg side of coil. Black to ground. Just to be sure why not take a jumper wire and jumper the black wire to neg side of battery. If you have verified that the pickup coil is within specs cold and hot then the only other thing it could be is the Ignition module in the distributor. Does this module look like a GM style module? If so you should be able to disconnect the pickup coil from the module. leave the wires connected to the ignition coil plugged in. Get a test light, connect it to the POSITIVE side of the battery. Turn your key to the run position. Take the test light and scratch terminal P on the module repeatedly. The coil should fire repeatedly. This simulates the pickup coil spinning in the dist. If you don't have spark after this test you have a bad module.

#22 ·
Only other thing I can visualize is if something changed on your 12v supply to the distributor. You said you had a new harness that supplies the 12v- how is that wired? And is that a switched 12v source (I'd assume yes for the key to control it) and is it still a 12v source when the key is in the start position? Might want to verify that and make sure your ignition switch is functioning properly.
Kevin

#23 ·
It doesn't make any sense that the points dizzy fires up and runs then - all things being equal says that the MSD is not triggering. Either it's bad or something is not configured correctly. Some of those are triggered externally....either by a crank sensor, or a box. Also, ther are 2 ways to set the rotor onthose depending on the method to trigger - either fixed, or mechanical advance. Then you have to have the springs of course if you are going the mech route.....just thinking out loud here. (thanks doctor obvious HUH!)

#24 ·
Might want to verify that and make sure your ignition switch is functioning properly.
I'm use a start button connected to the cylenoid so I'm bypassing the starter switch all together.

Then you have to have the springs of course if you are going the mech route
Bad69cat, the guy at the performance shop changed the springs in the top of the distributor from what was in it to the set that was in my original. By the way I have verified that I have the 8350 distributor. It has a module inside the distributor that controls the spark. I have not been able to get the car to my buddies shop and have something to do this weekend so it will have to wait until he has time to spend on it. Sal

#26 ·
[Check the magnetic pickup inside the distributor for any burn/black marks. New ones are like $ 25 and I'll bet that's your problem.[/QUOTE]

I've had problems with the Magnetic Connector inside my FE/MSD Distributor and have replaced it two times. Apparently there was a short in there somehow. My problem seems to be a little different than yours. But I seem to be having the same problem again with Stalling and not starting. Could be a potential trouble spot.

#27 ·
The new MSD distributor is working! Good news, but,,,,, I am having a fluctuating voltage from the starter switch to the s side of the solenoid. (the other good news is that I have finally spelled solenoid correctly). I have searched for a color coded wiring diagram starter switch to the solenoid with no luck. I have a beige or pink wire to the solenoid but when I trace from the starter switch, that wire disappears into a connector and does not reappear out of the back side. If one of you GREAT Motorheads could supply a link to a diagram, I would be in appreciation. Sal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.