Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 70 XR-7 351W auto trans an I had a guy I know change the plugs an plug wires on the car. When he got done the black connector that goes into the threaded end on the solenoid was off. I hooked it back up an now you have to plug the black connector in to the solenoid for it to get power an start the car then unhook it to keep the starter from wanting to keep trying to start. it did not do this before the plugs an plug wires were changed. I changed the solenoid & getting ready to change the starter everybody tells me sounds like something might be hooked up wrong or a bad ground. Could either one of those cause this problem?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Two different things here...either your friend got some of the wires crossed when he hooked it back up...or you got a faulty solenoid (I had that happen before). If by chance you have taken some pictures under the hood before you started all of this, perhaps you got a shot of the solenoid wiring by luck and can verify that the wires are installed right or wrong...my money is on the solenoid being built wrong (like mine was).

·
Registered
913 Posts
That doesn't sound like a starter problem, it sounds like the wires are wrong at the solenoid. red cable from bat.to one side, black cable to starter off the other side.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it matter which side the red an black wires go on? An I already replaced the solenoid an it still does it was told it might be the ignition switch hanging in the crank position I am going to replace that an see if it helps.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The solenoid has 4 posts - 2 big ones for battery/ground, and 2 for start and ignition ("S" and "I") there should not be voltage at the S terminal until the key is in the start position.....sounds like your ignition switch is horked up, just coincidence that you messed with the other stuff I think....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok on the solenoid there is a black wire going from the solenoid to the starter an the red one going to the battery. The black one is on the left an the red one is on the right side is this correct? Also there is a small black wire running to the hood looks like it goes to the light under the hood an it is connected on the right side right behind the red wire going from the solenoid to the battery with a couple washers in between them is this correct?

·
Registered
913 Posts
The red cable comes from + side of bat. to the solenoid large post next to the battery, the black comes off the side toward the starter. there should be a red and green on the S small post and a brown on the I small post. If the starter still wants to turn over, remove the red and green wire from solenoid and if starter stops, then the switch is bad, if the starter still is engaged then after removing red and green wire, then the solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
OOPS - I meant battery/Starter (not ground) - sorry to confuse....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok on the solenoid it is just the black wire going from starter to solenoid on the left an red wire going from battery to solenoid on the right no red or green wires. On the voltage regulator right below the solenoid there is a red an green wire going from the side of the voltage regular but none of it going to the solenoid. An on the solenoid there is a black connector going to the right thread sticking out on the solenoid an the left side dont have anything connected to it it was like this when I got it. This is on the 70 Cougar hardtop with 351W & I got a 70 Cougar convertible with 351 Cleveland that has the solenoid on it just like the hardtop an it has the black connectors on both threads on the solenoid. So which one is right?

·
Registered
913 Posts
You say black connectors, what color are the wires coming out of the black connectors on the Cleveland. This is what your 351W should have also, if if don't, you need to find them. I said red and green on the threaded connector,(that was my 68 I was looking at) but my69 and 70 has red wire with a blue stripe on the S terminal ,which is the threaded terminal close to the bat..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea on the solenoid there is no colored wires on it just on the voltage regulator.there is a red wire an a black wire connected to the solenoid an on the black connectors just 1 black connectors on the right side only nothing on the left side. Is there a diagram of how it is suppose to be hooked up I can find. I need this fixed by this week planning on trading the car off an need this fixed an the rear brake an other than that I should be good to go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok I checked the car out an found out it is the electronic Ignition switch on the steering column is bad an not the ignition switch that the key goes into. Went ahead an ran a wire to the battery an did a push button to start it turn the key to the on position an push the button an it works fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts