Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to first say that this is a great site and to thank those that put it together for all of us cougar fans. This site has given me the motivation I needed to start back to work on my cougar. I have been working on it for close to 12 years now and I have learned more in the last two weeks of viewing this site than the I have in the past years.....Thank you.

Now on to my question:
I have spent the last two weeks getting my 67 standard cougar in running shape so I could get it loaded on a transporter for my move out to Washington State. Things where going well until two nights ago when I was going to take my wife down to the Sonic for burger and....to show the young guys with "fart pipes" what a real car sounds like. HA I got about 2 miles down the road and EVERYTHING just died. No lights no juice to the engine and so forth. I was able to get it started by crossing the solenoid and placing a "jumper" wire from the battery to the coil. I limped it home and started trying to figure out what happened. I replaced the solenoid but still no luck. There is no juice to any accesories in the car. Due to work I have not been able to trace the problem down and the truck shows up in a few days to move the car west. If I don't get it running by then it is an extra $200 for "non-operational" vehicle..... Any help would be appreciated GREATLY. Oh yeah...It has a 302 out of a 69 Fairlane and the original C4 and point distriputer. Battery is new as is the alternator.

Thanks
Stan

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
there may be a fuseible link some where, i am not sure where.
get out the test light and trace the electrical path. it is good to have a schematic. check for power at the ignition switch.

you don't realize how much stuff you have till you have to move it all.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Did you check the ground strap from the engine to the firewall. You won't have any power to your interior acc. if the connection isn't good.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
old car = rusty and corroded connections.

Start at your battery, and pull all the wiring from the alternator through the ignition switch and test continuity with a multimeter, then check all your fuses. Check your connection points for corrosion....

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I 2nd the battery connections. You can either clean the old ones, or buy new ones. New ones would be better insurance, then use vaseline on the battery posts.
Have fun here, we are always learning as well.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts