Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that when I'm on the highway and I let off the gas the car slows its' self down like the breaks are being applied. So I jacked the car up and removed the caliper and found that the does not seem to disengage. I'm not really sure why this happens, could it be from too much brake fluid? The level is up to the top of the container but I don't know if this could be the cause. If anyone know what to do please help. Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Couple of possible problems, a sticking seal in the caliper, the rubber boots on the mounting bolts are rotted and sticking, the MC could have some internal problems and not releasing pressure, or the rubber hose is swelled internally and not releasing pressure. The problem is not too much fluid. Does this happen on only one side, or both calipers. If only one, it is not likely to be the MC. I have had all of the above happen to me but the most common cause has been bad seals inside the caliper.

·
Registered
588 Posts
For a 70, I would lean towards a bad MC. But before you start buying parts, see if the wheels spin as freely before being driven as after. If they are the same before and after, you can rule out the hoses as they typically bleed off pressure when sitting for a couple hours. It is also rare for a car to have two calipers or both hoses go bad at the same time (unless the car has been stored for many years).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts