Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '71 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb.....as of right now I have changed the starter, the alternator wiring harness, the alternator is good too....when trying to start it up there is a whirring like sound by the voltage regulator....and suggestions of what it could possibly be?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
When you turn the key the starter relay should apply voltage to the starter solenoid - which should kick in and start turning the the engine over. The alternator has nothing to do with starting.......if the thing isn't turning over you may want to take another hard look at the starter - the whirring sound is usually the starter solenoid not engaging as it should

Sometime a few love taps with a rubber mallet can wake it up, but if it's new, I'd be tempted to take it back even if it does....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you and with the starter solenoid....i replaced that too about a week or two ago...but it could still be that??

·
Registered
23 Posts
I once had something jammed into the flywheel teeth and when I tried to start, the starter would just click... but it also caused the voltage regulator to melt down - charred! I had to replace it and try it again before I figured what was going on. Just for yucks, try hand cranking the fan to see if the engine is frozen or something. Also maybe recheck the starter in case something got left inside there or jamming it up???

Beyond that, did you try bypassing your ignition switch at the regulator to start?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try that. I am not sure but I took the battery to AutoZone to get it test and it turns out that one of cells are dead, could that also be the problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put new battery in and selonoid sparked...same sound....i could use some help...this is my first cougar. Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
It could have some teeth missing from the flex plate/flywheel. If you can turn it over a little by hand and try to start it again. I don't know anything about a Cleveland but it could possibly have a flex plate that is too small and the starter may not be making contact with the teeth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so here is what happened next, I put in a new battery because the old one had a dead cell and wasn't putting out enough power....afterwords I tried turning it over and that caused the solenoid and battery to spark and smoke....i also had to replace the battery terminal cable too because it got so hot, it melted the ring on the cable, since i replaced that, tried again to see if that would fix and that didn't work, it just screwed up the positive cable (melted) does anyone have any clue what would cause this....i know it's possibly the wiring or something of that sort....any help is welcomed, thanks in advance

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can't call you because I am in Australia.
I am also no expert but with my experience I do beleive the following.
You have a major short in your electrical system, If your battery and solenoid started smoking before you tried turning it over it could be in a number of places but if it started smoking when you turned the Ignition to the "On" position it narrows it down further but if it started smoking when you turned the ignition to the "Start" position it is most likely shorting at either the starter motor or the solenoid. I would be betting on it being the solenoid but without putting a multi meter on it and checking I can not tell you but do not hook up your battery again untill you find the fault or you can do a lot more damage than what has already been done, you have possibly already damaged your new battery and other wiring.
Go and buy a cheap $10 multi meter and If you are unsure how to use it hopefully some one from here may be local enough to help out and show you otherwise find some one friend/family/neighbour who has some experience even an electrician should be able to help you with using it. Mind you I know a lot of car people who can't get there head around electricity also known as electrickery.
Cheers Rodney

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
By any chance, is the inspection plate missing from your transmission? From under the car, look and see if you can literally see into the where the trans bolts onto the engine. If so, then there is probably something stuck up in there.
Has the car ever run? Is this a new symptom?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hot damn...i got her purring like a kitten....bad wiring from previous owners fried 2 batteries..but she is all good now

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah! Glad you got it.... persistence always wins

1 - 14 of 14 Posts