Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Gents, a few months ago I told you all a problem that I had with my body guy which cause me to remove my Cat from his shop. Now that I have some more time off, I am learning some off the dark things that he did. I found that he did not cut the old floor pans out like he should have he simply welded them right on top of the other ones. So let me ask you all this, What should I do to fix this situation? Not the body shop situation the floor pan situation, I have already filed a lawsuit against him. Please HELP!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well, I guess all you can do is cut them out and start from scratch again. I don't know that it would hurt anything to do it that way I guess - unless the other one continues to rust/rot and puts pressure agains the "new" one? Unfortunately it's one of those things where going to a restoration place is better than a typical body shop. The hurting on the wallet is going to be painful, no doubt.....especially with the mod's you are putting into it. I'm sure you can find somebody out there who will treat you right....ask around at the car shows/swap meets.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pretty crappy situation. I wouldn't take a chance leaving it as is. No way to say if he removed all the rust from the original floors. If not the rust would just rot from the inside out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, to top it all off I heard back from my attorney today and that rat ******* is in JAIL so I can't even finish the lawsuit until he is out of jail. That is what I get for living 200 miles from the nearest big city.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What I would do is grind from the rusty side just past where the welding was done to try and separate the rusty metal from the new pieces and the good original metal it is joined to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to salvage poor quality work, often turns into more work, than just starting over. My current 70 vert project had same issue from past owners.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With respect to the car....probably best to try 1969xr7vert's idea, but be prepared to re-do or replace all.

I doubt that you are the only person that he has screwed. Unless the rat ******* has strong ties to the area, expect him to bolt/disappear upon release and your lawsuit may be useless.

For your mental relief, imagine visiting the rat ******* in jail and offering to overhaul his fourth point of contact...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is it spot welded or seam welded in,..are the seat pans in? With the frame rail extensions and the torque boxes in mind, IMO grind, drill and remove. Then again, if there is no remaining rusty metal layered between the new pan connecting to the extensions and boxes and he properly attached the pan along the inner rocker,...cut the old pan out from the underside. What a hillbilly hack job!

Shoot us some pics, there may be a simple solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts