Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there also building a Pro-Touring style Cougar? Mine is 1st Gen.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of in that class, and a long way from finished. My goal is to build more of a sleeper though, so if it is possible the upgrades are vintage. For example, for brakes I'm using the giant 4 piston K/H calipers found on '67 T-Birds and 11.73"X1.25" '68 LTD rotors and for suspension, I'm using reenforced upper and lower stock control arms, and the 351W looks enough like a 289 that some may not notice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on. I went with a full Total Control Products Suspension. Front and rear coil-overs, Wilwood brakes, rack and pinion steering, TKO 600 trans, FAB 9 axle with 3.70 gears.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am trying to get my 68 there. It has global west upper control arms, 1-1/8" sway bar, 620 coils, older TCP strut rods, wilwood brakes, borgeson steering box, currie 9" with 3.89's, tk0 600, and sbf with accel dfi. Future plans are for an Art Morrison version 2 front end and I am currently working on a 3-link suspension for the rear. I hope I can design it where it does not intrude into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mine Is getting/got Complete AJE front suspention (thinking about including air-ride into that) 393w and a tko 600 17x9/17x10.5's with 275 tire at all 4 corners

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
1bad68... you price that currie 9 yet? I'm looking at one of those myself... I was thinking 3.70s.....
Also perhaps a 6 speed from American Powertrain. I might be headed up there this week to look at their 68 w/ 6-speed.

occougarboy... how you like the 3.70s?

I was thinking 17x9s w/ 235/45/17 tires. Also, what diff are you guys using? Trac-Loc TruTrac...other...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Someone needs to put one of the new BOSS 2012 302 engines in a Cougar. The SUPERCHARGED version, that would be a thrill, red line 7500, would be a fun car, FUN IS GOOD.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
233 Posts
1bad68... you price that currie 9 yet? I'm looking at one of those myself... I was thinking 3.70s.....
Also perhaps a 6 speed from American Powertrain. I might be headed up there this week to look at their 68 w/ 6-speed.

occougarboy... how you like the 3.70s?

I was thinking 17x9s w/ 235/45/17 tires. Also, what diff are you guys using? Trac-Loc TruTrac...other...
NOR_68Cougar,

I actually got the currie rearend in 2004. At that time I paid ~$2800. It has a Tru-Trac diff, nodular case, billet pinion support, 31 spline axles, and Wilwood Disc brakes. I am looking to get the housing modified to a full floater setup, but will need to come up with a way to make the brakes work.

Also, on the 17X9's, they will hit the upper a-arm in the ball joint area. You could run shallower back spacing, but then the rim starts sticking out pass the fender. My cougar has 17X8 w/ 4.75 BS and it barely clears without rubbing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Someone needs to put one of the new BOSS 2012 302 engines in a Cougar. The SUPERCHARGED version, that would be a thrill, red line 7500, would be a fun car, FUN IS GOOD.

Dale in Indy
Dale, I may look into that when the time comes. I was going to build a clevor, but by the time I'm done, it maybe cheaper to put the new Boss engine in my car instead and it will be more efficient. I'm actually trying to convince my brother to put the new 5.0L in his 66 mustang.

Robert

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Oopps I mean 17 X 8 .... I was thinking 4.5 backspace.... Ugh... if you want to sell the rear in favor of another setup.... LET ME KNOW!!! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I've been off the grid for so long, NOR_68Cougar, I'll tell you when I finally get this b*tch running! Plans have changed. She's getting a twin turbo fed 408W now. Also, any thoughts on running 19's on a Cougar?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hey pics of all these projects would be nice to see on here.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of in that class, and a long way from finished. My goal is to build more of a sleeper though, so if it is possible the upgrades are vintage. For example, for brakes I'm using the giant 4 piston K/H calipers found on '67 T-Birds and 11.73"X1.25" '68 LTD rotors and for suspension, I'm using reenforced upper and lower stock control arms, and the 351W looks enough like a 289 that some may not notice.
... kind of similar to what I am doing / have done .... .... just some "basic" upgrades ( just added detailed specs to my profile)

... she goes pretty good for "60's Technology" ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njycQ7akhDw ( just cruzin )

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DSC01408.JPG

This is what she looks like at the moment. I'm building a twin turbo 408W for it. Right now, the interior is gutted while I wire up the audio, add more dynamat and install the AC ducts and such.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts