Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ADAM,
question. A friend i know is redoing a old bronco, and is using a POR 15 primer over bare metal(clear i think).Now my question is can you prime over bare metal w/ that stuff? What happens when you have to use filler? and you have to take off the coating to get to bare metal? I`m a painter by trade and a bodyman by hobbyist(was in the field for 14 years), and never heard about putting down this coating before doing filler work..
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any info on my question? Iplan on coating my undercarriage n then painting over it but still curious on the main subject here.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im just bumping this thread up for easier viewing....

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
droptopcat70

You should do any filler work before you put down POR-15.

Here I'm going to mention our own Epoxy Putty that is also moisture cured (it'll set underwater if you need it to) http://porshop.com/porshopfilpu.html

But before using any filler use the first two steps of the POR-15 process. Clean using Marine Clean to remove any grease and then apply Metal Ready to neutralize any rust and etch the metal.

If you apply POR-15 first your filler won't be able to grab on, and if you don't neutralize the rust it will fester underneath your filler.

Then you can put down your POR-15.

You mentioned that your friend is using POR-15 Clear. This is not a primer. He's using the POR-15 rust preventative coating which is great to use over bare metal (again use the first two steps mentioned above first for best results).

If you're coating your undercarriage with POR-15 you don't need to put another coat on top. POR-15 is extremely resistant to chips and cracks and as long as its not in direct sunlight the finish won't discolour. Most people are using our Black Semi-Gloss for this type of application.

If you want to topcoat you can either do so about an hour or two after you apply the second layer of POR-15 (we recommend two coats) when it is just beyond the tacky stage. Put down a light coat so that the two layers can swap some molecules. Then give it another more permanent coating.

For the best topcoating though we recommend our Tie Coat Primer. It goes on thicker than POR-15 and will sand to a smooth finish. Its designed to give superior adhesion between POR-15 and any other top coat you'd want to apply.
http://porshop.com/porshoptiecp.html

Let me know if there's any part of your question I haven't answered. I think I got it all.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adam
is it recommended to use the POR 15 in a 1 qt siphon fed spray gun? Cause also another friend said as soon as your done to immediately clean out your spray gun.Now what is the pot life of the POR 15 once its activated? And 1 more quick question that rust preventive stuff my buddy said if there is a chance that a drop of sweat falls into a open container of the clear rust preventive its no good? Is the stuff that sensitive?
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
You can spray POR-15, but use our POR-15 solvent to thin. For clean up use lacquer thinner, and yes, clean up right away. Make sure you spray in a well ventilated area and use a good quality respirator and full suit, etc.

Because POR-15 is moisture cured we recommend pouring from the can only what you need for a session (1 - 2 hours) into a second clean container and then immediately sealing the can back up - use a plastic sheet between the can and the lid for a better seal and easier re-opening. The contents of the can should remain useable for about 3 - 6 months depending on if the can is 1/2 full or a quarter full, etc. We usually recommend that people buy in smaller cans if they have a project that will stretch for several months. Yes, you'll save a few dollars buying the Gallon size, but there's better piece of mind knowing you have a fresher product.

And yes, that drop of sweat is enough to compromise the entire can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts