Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short...we sprayed the car and didnt prime the body filler spots, it bled through...so we sanded those spots down then primed that area...then we shot them spots again with paint...it was a little darker gray primer than the high build primer we used.....

question is what would you do if the spots we resprayed, it still shows a little bit....does the color of primer affect the shade of the paint?

The basecoat was dupoint metallic blue
High build primer was from evercoat
Epoxy primer (we used that to cover up the body filler spots) was from evercoat

The high build primer and epoxy primer was a little different shades of gray...

So far, we have shot the spots with 2 coats....the spots where the darker primer is shows the darker base

any suggestions!?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the same problem with a single stage urethane candy apple red years ago. You might have to recoat the off color spots in the same primer.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I believe the color of primer can affect the shade of paint.

To fix?

·
Registered
669 Posts
The color of the primer can affect the shade of the base especially if the base is a light color. Too late now but this is why it's best to shoot a seal coat on before you lay the base down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the car has 4 coats of basecoat....we have 2 coats of the spots we had to reprimer the body filler.....the primer we used to cover the body filler was a "little" darker gray primer....so I didnt think that was the problem. Is it a possibility that the spots should get a couple more of coats of base?? I plan on trying that tomorrow....pray!!!

The spots we sprayed/fixed....they look good, it just looks like "sort of lighter". After staring at it for an hour....I hope its just not enough base coat....sound good?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts