Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a painter today, the guy seems to be very good, looking at his work in his shop is very impressive. He specializes in corvettes and muscle cars. Seems he does more of the muscle car restorations. He told me it would cost 1200 to media blast the car. Shell on wheels and any loose parts I can fit inside. Does this sound reasonable? Kinda scary what the total paint job might cost me. Also on a 68 XR7 from Dearborn, how were they exactly painted underneath? Were they black or left in primer?

·
Registered
199 Posts
yep very reasonable. I just had mine done by newbury blasting in ohio had to wait 4 months to get it back but he did a good job cost me $1385.00 including a coat of epoxy primer.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think this includes any primer. The painter says it will come back to him bare and then after all the metal is inspected he will prime it. That is extra of course.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I paid $600 to have the exterior of my GT/CS done. My guy is mobile and included both sides of the hood and trunk lid.
Mine used granulated soda.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's a very good price Harvey - and a time saver big time! Paint is way more than it used to be!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This guys work looks good. The car will come back to him bare metal. He will then inspect it with me and we will see if there is any hidden issues. Right now I would say no but he says that after it is blasted is the only way to know for sure. Then if there is any body work, I don't believe so he will prime it. Depending on money we go from there. He says that with the primer he will be using it can sit back in my barn till i get caught up financially if it needs to.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Just as a comparison, I had my 'vert media blasted underside and interior/engine bay for $320 in Oklahoma City 3 years ago. It was well worth the money and a HUGE time saver. I found a lot more rust holes than I ever expected, but fortunately I knew I was going to cut out and replace the floor pans and under rear seat area any way.
I used a small shop and had it back in about 3 days. I was able to time it right during a slow period for them. It is hard to prime the underside laying on a creeper underneath the car.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Wow, Daryl, wish I'd known of THAT shop! Mine was $800, and about 4 months lag time waiting for it. But, in the end, well worth the wait.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Prices seem to be all over the board, I had mine sand blasted for $1000.00, less the hood, doors, fenders and trunk. I did throw in every rusty part that I could find. Sprayed the whole thing with epoxie. Sal

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I honestly don't think they are going to find any rust. The only bolts on the whole car so far that would not turn right out were the ones on the bottom of the battery tray! There is a little surface rust on the passenger side floor pan below the heater and or air conditioner. I used a wire brush and it seemed to clean right up. I could probably get by without media blasting this car but I want to know for sure that it is clean and rust free then go from there. Figure if the original paint lasted 43 years If I do it right and baby it later it should last my lifetime! I am hoping anyway. Didn't know when I started that it was going to be a rotisary type restoration but looks like it is going that way.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If he wants to wait with the primer until any bodywork is done, that´s a big no no, after it´s blasted, then it´s best to get the body in primer as fast as possible, to avoid oxidation to start, and the clean body get´s contaminated, if you touch a blasted body with your bare hands, even just a fingertip will ruin the job, and can cause suddenly after perhaps two years since it was painted, that a fingerprint might appear in the paint, also the oxidation starts instantly making a sort of air barrier between the body and primer.

The best thing is to get it primed asap, the perform any needed bodywork, rust repair etc, one can always reprime the spots that have been repaired before going further in the procedure of the paint build up.
I´ve seen too many cars with a ruined paintjob, rust starting to show again, just a few years after a total restoration where they didn´t prime the body asap after blasting

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that is what he has planned, The media blasting won't be done at the shop where the guy does the paint. As soon as it is done being media blasted it will be taken to his shop. He will inspect everything to see what the metal looks like then he will prime it. Then do any other work that may be needed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Harvey, if you don't think you'll find any rust, you might reconsider media blasting and just using a wire brush on a drill for those obvious places and then treat with a rust inhibitor. Sounds like you have a solid car and your in the dismanteling stage. Costs really add up quickly when you start to reassemble. Parts that are sufficient now will need to be replaced once you get that new paint. Just saying, $1200.00 maybe better spent in the top end rather the underside if not totally warrented. Sal

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that it is costly, What I am looking for is to make this into a new car, factory fresh if I can or at least as close as possible. I realize that I will end up with more into it than it will be valued at but It will make me feel better to get it blasted. primed and painted inside and out. I also have to find out what the factory actually did underneath. I have been reading the CCOA judging sheets but they are not really specific enough to explain to the painter. I don't think the car was painted all over underneath. I think it was primer and then paint on the crimp welds? Sound tunnel coated with undercoating or sound proofing. Wheel wells blacked out? I have heard that Dearborn cars had a gray sprayed on the bottom but not sure if it was the whole bottom or what. Trying to find the right answers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I paid $500. They did whole car, door jams, underside of hood and trunk. That was 10 years ago. It was done over the weekend. Guess I got lucky

1 - 16 of 16 Posts