Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering selling my 1970 cougar and I am wondering what to ask for it. It's a 1970 base, 351c 2v, automatic, front disc brakes. It's fully running and driving, I drive it daily.

I will start with the problems that it still has.

Has some rust on it still, the quarter panels are starting to bubble, there is some under the trunk lid and the cowl does leak some, but I have a magnetic cowl cover on it. The a/c works to a degree, but isn't great and the PO bypassed the heater core. I haven't tested it though, so it might be OK. There is minor play in the steering wheel and the swaybar end links need new bushings. There is a hesitation when you first hit the gas. It's annoying, but the car doesn't die or anything.

Now for the good stuff that it has. Top rust has been fixed and a brand new vinyl top installed. Brand new head liner. Brand new carpet. New floor pans. The interior is all there, minus the rear package tray, the rear sail panels, and the radio/HVAC trim. Torque boxes and frame rails are solid. Rebuilt carburetor, new plugs and wires. New expansion valve and drier. Headlight covers work properly. Brand new gas tank and sending unit. New wheel cylinders on the rear brakes. All of the chrome is there. Reproduction radio with cassette player. The paint is in decent shape. American Racing wheels. Original spare tire. Licensed and inspected.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Color combo isn't going to be highly desired - leaking cowl isn't unusual but a PITA and not going to help. Has A/C though a big plus....if the frame doesn't have any major issues - honestly maybe 2500 if I were looking. Lots of work to be done for sure......

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I agree with2000- 2500..needs a lot of things, rust just kills the value of the car it is very expensive to fix, since most people( including me) cannot do it I have to pay someone to do it which is pricey...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rust isn't bad at all, it's only in the very lower portion of the quarter, not in the wheel well at all. If I look in the trunk, there are a couple of pinholes of light coming through. One patch panel on both sides and it is gone. The cowl and the potential heater core are the biggest concerns, but at least with the cowl cover, it doesn't leak. I have more than $2500 in it, plus a ton of work to boot. I will keep it for the cool factor alone before selling that cheap.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I don't blame you.. My experience with rust bubbles/pin holes is that it's always worse once you start in on it. The cowl, as any mustang or cat fan will tell you, is an absolute mother to fix.....or very expensive to have a shop do it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Being new to the Cougar family I am learning no big money to be made here . But the WOW factor is what is there in a big way .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't blame you.. My experience with rust bubbles/pin holes is that it's always worse once you start in on it. The cowl, as any mustang or cat fan will tell you, is an absolute mother to fix.....or very expensive to have a shop do it.
Oh, I know full well how quickly a pin hole can become a half dollar sized hole, but since I can see the backside from the trunk, I can tell that there is a plenty of good metal there. I know about the cowl too, about 10 million spot welds hold it in.

Being new to the Cougar family I am learning no big money to be made here . But the WOW factor is what is there in a big way .
I knew that when I bought it. I am not looking for big money. Was going to put it up for around $3500, I could live with that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I found out what it was worth tonight. Just sold it. $3100. I feel like it was a good price for me and the buyer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
man... talk about living in the wrong country, $3,100!!!!
I've spent NZ$5k on mine in the last 6mths and I can't really see where it's gone!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yep, you did good. Are you looking for another one, or moving on to something else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts