Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a price on an 8 inch locker, and or maybe a set of 3.55 gears for same.
Anyone?
[email protected]

with price and pics, thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hmmm - I just saw one on CL around here - I'll get back to you if I find it again....

Just checked - it's 8.8 mod one....there is one guy on ebay that builds to order for a nice chunk of change though! Ouch. Something will turn up soon

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see the ones for around 325, and that's not a bad price, but I wanted to check here as well...I still need to get gears, and then get the gear set installed and set up. Tough to get in for under 500 dollars....

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
They are the same, or more expensive than a 9 inch traction lock. Supply and demand, not much supply...

When I was upgrading my 1968 XR7 with the T-5, I found it more economical for myself to just do the 9 inch conversion. I was fortunate to have recently parted out a 1970 Cougar, so I had practically nothing in a 9 inch rear. $90 at a local U-Pullit got me a low mileage 9 inch, 3.50 trac loc from a Bronco. I traded for a set of 31 splined axles.

Didn't even have to crack the brake lines to install, used the same backing plates as the 8 inch. Bought the correct Neapco combination U-Joint to use with the drive shaft (1310), and the 1330 yoke from the Bronco.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a line on another 67 for parts when I get back to Idaho, I will sell off that stuff, to pay for the new locker 8 inch..Unless I come up with another 9 inch somewhere....Lots to do when I get back!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have a line on another 67 for parts when I get back to Idaho, I will sell off that stuff, to pay for the new locker 8 inch..Unless I come up with another 9 inch somewhere....Lots to do when I get back!
Are you still moving to Utah/Colorado?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leaning towards the greater Colorado Springs area, hopefully no later than 1 November.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts