Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... in the dismantling stage of things and have come across a few surprises which is to be expected. But this one I am not so sure about.

It would appear the cat was hit on the passenger door at some time in the past. There is damage to the passenger door post, which would explain the washers I found on the door hinge when taking it apart.

The panels and door fit fairly well before I took everything apart.

Is this something that can be pounded out and touched up during body work? Is it better to remove and replace the door post? And what would that entail? I am not prone to leaving it like it is, but this seems to be a structural part as it holds the entire door.

In comparing to the drivers side, it should be a straight line down the door post here, but it definitely is not close to straight.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Doesn't look to bad from here - I'd just dolly that out as best you can - not easy to get at from the backside, but you could open it up, dolly it, then weld it back together and nobody would be the wiser. Much easier than trying to cut out and splice in something. Looks like the floors are going to need some work though....good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm thinking.....Port-a-Power. A few minutes and that hinge mount will be back in alignment. You're right, the A pillar panel should be smooth, flat and straight at the hinge mounting surface.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, have new floor pans on the way. It's frustrating as the body lined up really well. They shimmed it just right!! Me thinks I will deal with this door jamb at a later date, I got enough to keep me busy with replacing the engine bay panels, shock tower, strut rod braces, floor panels, forward fire wall panels, rear seat panel, dash structure... dang.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
See what you started!! You got the "while I was at it's in a bad way"! LOL

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Buy an extra box of studs for sure..... ;>) Could come in handy for a lot of it - along with a BFH of course

Rust-wise she looks pretty solid (ECI point of view I guess - LOL)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buy an extra box of studs for sure..... ;>) Could come in handy for a lot of it - along with a BFH of course

Rust-wise she looks pretty solid (ECI point of view I guess - LOL)
Yeah, not any significant rust around this damage point and damage is OLD. Both floor pans are being replaced though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like the Uni-spotter idea, but you may also need to weld a piece of steel to the corners to pull them out. Another thing you could do is get a splice from the same model/year at a wrecker and cut it in.

Whenever I see damage like that I start measuring! See if anyone can find the frame/body specs for it and measure it all out. At the very least do some criss-cross measures to see if you've got a square shell, plus measure to and from same points on either side to be sure they pulled it out enough way back when - or you could run into a lot of problems when repalcing the sheet metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts