Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, New 180 Thermostat, New Water Pump, New Head Gaskets,(Because They Told Me They May Be Leaking And When I Pulled Them Off They Appeared They Where) Cooling Fan Gose Off At 180 ish Degrees, 16LBS Radiator Cap. When At Operating Temp, Upper and Lower Hoses Are Very Hard, What Seems Like Alot Of Pressure?? Is This Normal. Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hmm lower hose should have a metal spiral core, but upper shouldn't be that hard. If its not opening the cap u should be ok. A pressure tester is a wise investment if ur worried, they are easy to use and let you simulate while in your garage

·
Registered
123 Posts
To assist in those cold morning starts I installed a water heating element by cutting the lower hose and inserting the element into it, there wasn't a metal spiral core.

I'm not sure about after-market setups but I think mine which is original vents through the overflow line to the atmosphere.

I'm not claiming to be an engineer but I think a 16 pound cap means it will relieve pressure at 16 pounds of over pressure assuming you have a closed loop system.

Now also assuming your cooling system is working properly if the max temperature is apx 180 degrees there wouldn't be any boiling and no pressure build up.

I also did a quick search using the web sight below water temperature would need to be in the range of (212-251)f to boil build pressure and not relieve through your cap.

Have you tried feeling how stiff the hoses are when the car is off and checking the difference?

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/resources/steam-tables/saturated-water.asp

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Not to be to funny - well Ok- maybe a little, a hard hose is a good thing! ;>) he he Ok it's out of my sytem now. It proves that your not losing pressure, which is what you want. Remember from chemistry class that putting a system under pressure increases it's boiling point. Additives can also increase it and help lubricate the internals as long as you don't overmix them! The spring in the lower hose is actually what they used to help keep it from collapsing under accleration on the older hoses that did't have a very rigid structure. Probably not neccessary these days unless it's a really long run. So you are correct - the boiling point would be well past 16 lbs (220 deg +) as long as your mix is correct and the cap is working right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts