Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As for the Master Cylinder, am I correct in my thinking that the rear reservoirs service the rear brakes and the front service the front brakes?

What function does the little cups on the gasket serve?

I ask this becasue I have a power bleeder and it doesnt work worth a poot. I clamp it down as tight as i can get it and when i pressurize the tank, the fluid leaks all over the place. I was thinking about taking the old cap to a master cylinder and adapting it to work with the pressure bleeder.

Any suggestions?

Oh, yeah, its drums all around.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Wrong, rear reservoir serves the front brakes, and the front reservoir serves the rear brakes

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The cups are expandable bellows that pop out as brake fluid level drops. You might be able to use an old cap, but you will have to cut a hole in each of the bellows or remove them. Trouble getting a power bleeder cap to seal is very common, I would even call it a rite of passage! Usually they can be made to seal with a little finesse, but how well the cap fits the cylinder housing, the condition of the gasket and the like would also all play a part.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
992 Posts
I use a vacuum pump to bleed brakes. I think it works great, I can work by myself, and as long as I keep an eye on the master cylinder fluid level (master cylinder cap is off while I bleed the brakes) and don't let it get too low, it's a simple process. Plus, it kinda serves as a flush-and-bleed all at once, due to the volume of fluid you pass before you don't see bubbles in the bleed line anymore.

Kevin

·
Registered
437 Posts
To add to this, the rear chamber is bigger, for the front brakes, and the front chamber is smaller for the rear brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
To add to this, the rear chamber is bigger, for the front brakes, and the front chamber is smaller for the rear brakes.
On a disk/drum car, yes, but his is drum/drum so they are the same.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of maybe adding a thicker gasket in an old cap with some fittings attaching the hose. I will let you know how that works.

Every time I tighten the auto bleeder down, the top just bends. The top needs to be stiffened up. Maybe i will use a 1/8" thick plate on top of the rubber bleeder block to stiffen it up some and get uniform pressure.

BTW, when I was sitting at the rear drum the other day, I was thinking that the way do it would be to suck it out but I do not have a vacuum pump.

Wish I could work on it tonight but I have class. :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
I used a pressure bleeder when I changed to disc all around and put in the propper M/C. I had the same problem with the seal not being tight, I used a large C clamp to clamp it down in the center and it worked great.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats an interesting fix. Thanks for that. I think I ned to go ahead and replace the lines. The car was parked for a while with no brake fluid so I think they are pretty rusted on the inside. I tried a vacuum pump and only got a little fluid out of the back brakes. For the fronts, the fluid came right out in a pretty healthy stream.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts