Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I had our 1969 Cougar out for some work over Thanksgiving break, it was raining when I drove it back to the storage facility, due to a flight I did not have time to dry it off and my dad was also not able to get back and towel it. My question is, now that I have come back and checked on it, aside from the dust streaks, would it be possible for any tiny speckles of rust to bubble up from the paint in this 3 week span? The area in question is on the front passenger quarter on the upward facing area near the antenna.
This car already had some surface rust speckling that was bubbling through on the passenger side door. I will get some pictures of it in the next few days.
Additionally, does anyone have any preferred methods for stripping this rust down and touching up the paint? It is entirely original and I would hate to have to repaint a door or panel for something this minor. The best method would be something that would not require removing the door, something that could be brushed on and stick to the vertical panel. Most of the products I have found online are either to runny/require immersion, or will strip the paint as well.

Thanks!
Will update with pictures in the next day or so.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
The rust was most likely all ready there before, but as we live in the middle of Puget Sound we do have a bit of sale in our air. Clean it well and seal it with a good wax for now. Maybe next time I come over to the big Island I can look at it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pics, I think the stuff that I thought was new I just hadn't noticed it before. Put it back in storage today reasonably dry. It needs a good wash/wax but 40° and rainy is not conducive to that kind of work. The pictures don't show it real well but it is definitely not rusting through the panel, there is some more on the rear quarter. Given that this is only on the passenger side I am inclined to believe it is all leftover from when my Uncle owned it in New England and had it garaged presumably next to another car that came in wet/salty parked next to the Cougar.

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Lens flare

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Lens flare

Light Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Drawing Text Sketch Line Eye

Thanks for the tips, if anyone has recommendations on a rust remover/converter that is safe on paint that would be great!
Also any local guys that can set up a carb right? I have it close but it is not idling great and has a miss at part throttle cruise.
None of this is urgent as I will be out of town again until March at the earliest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts