Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I want to prep under the hood for painting on my 68. It has the original hood insulation pad and paint.
Is there a secret on removing the insulation pad without damaging it?
Once the pad is off and hood is off the car, what do I need to do to prep underneath of the hood for painting? I do not plan on taking it down to bare metal.
I was thinking;
scuff with 180
prime
sand
paint
Is this the correct procedure for under hood, deck lid and door jambs?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The hood pad was held in place with about 10 or 11 clips like these: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/padclip.html . Just remove them and gently remove the hood pad. One note, whenever the hood was closed and the pad was against the air cleaner, the back side of the pad might stick to the hood a little bit. John

·
Registered
669 Posts
underhood, under trunk lid, and door jambs are all same color as the rest of the body. As for the proper procedure, it all depends on what you are starting with.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The underside of the hood? Before sanding you better clean the heck out of it with something like Dawn and plenty of water. Then maybe go over it with some wax and grease remover. You don't want to sand dirt, grease or residual oils into the surface. Oh, and don't forget to blow out all the hidden spaces between the actual hood and and the bracing. If there is any small debris is those areas the spray gun will surely blow it out right onto your new paint.

Reactions: johnboy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts