Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, me again. In my books about engine rebuilding it says when re-assembling the engine it is necessary to thoroughly lube all parts that experience friction.
For this it is mentioned I should use pre-lube or oil that is suitable for pre-lubing parts.
I've been to the car equipment/tool store and they have all sorts of lubricants there, but I could not figure out what I can use for this application.
What do you guys use to lube the parts with when re-assembling (crankshaft bearings and other parts of the rotating assembly)?

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is a pre lube paste you can get from places like summit. I used a 50/50 mix of engine oil and STP oil thickener for most bearing surfaces on the last engine I built. I also used a allen wrench on a socket that was the same size as the distributer oil pump drive shaft to pre lube the engine after I got it back togther and filled the oil pan before the first start.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Crane Cams used to sell a small 2 ounce tub of their cam assembly lube. I'd mix this 50/50 with regular motor oil. Coat all moving parts (rod and main bearings, cam journals, etc). This gives everything a little molybdenm disulphide coating (really slick schit) for breakin. It is thick enough that it can sit for months without anything going dry. The only 'bad' thing is it will turn the oil black on startup, so I change it after 100 miles or so after breakin. I've never had a cam or bearing fail during breakin with this method!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I just finished my engine and what I used was some stuff called "Permatex: Ultra slick engine assy. lube" and it seemed to work pretty well. Its Red and really thick. I dunno if you can find it but it worked well for me.

Bryon

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Just make sure it's moly based.....makes for a "stickier" application. Lots of products out there but I plan on using ARP Assembly Lube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts