Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on the power windows that my 69 XR7 convertible came from the factory with. I've had a lot of wiring problems (And still do) with the car. For this reason, I've removed the power window motors and put in more reliable crank windows from a parts car. I know it was a rare option to have them, with 10 % or so of all cars having them, but it is such a hassle to keep them. I would be interested in putting an aftermarket motor kit in while still using my switches, which would give it a stock look. But which company offers these, if any? Would doing this give me better reliability? Not all of my motors are working, and would need to be replaced if I went back to the origional setup. My car is not a daily driver, but no trailer queen either. It is taken out on sunny days and weekends, so I need reliable windows. Any thoughts or opinons would be really helpful.

·
Registered
794 Posts
try this for more info. You might be able to make the aftermarket kit work with the factory switches, but you will have to hack the factory wireing to hell to make it work.
Besides, most of the aftermarket kits convert the manual regulator to power buy using a motor to turn the regulator crank.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1948

How about replacing your bad motors?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Crazycat,
Power windows in the 69-70 cats are an endless battle. I've had my 69 Convertible with power windows for 13 years and I still have one window that does not work properly, and I have replaced every switch, every motor, and the complete wiring harness. Before assuming your problem is the motors I would isolate them and run a direct power source to each motor to test it. I have found that the problem is usually the switch. The door window motors are not that expensive and be found at most Cougar parts vendors, and even at some discount auto parts stores if you are lucky. The rear, or "pancake" motors are a little more hard to find. The individual switches are available from some of the obsolete parts vendors, or you can try to disassemble and clean the contacts. The master switch is going to be difficult to find, and will definitely need to be cleaned and reassembled if it is used. Let me know if you have any specific questions about some of the things I have done to maintain my PW system.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice- I'll have to check out the condition of my units, which are in a box somewhere. I think, for now at least, I will just keep the cranks in there for reliability. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts