Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a '72 Standard, and I would like to put power windows in it. I know I need the motors but, do I need special window regulators, or do I use the standard crank ones?

·
Registered
794 Posts
it depends on what you plan to use for the power window conversion, aftermarket parts or factory parts. (assuming that 72 had them as an option or other car w/ same door panel)

Factory: I would think that the the motor and regulator would need to be changed out.

Aftermarket: No. The aftermarket kit adapts to the manual regulator and they give you a black cap to put over where the crank used to go. Looks hokey though.

click on select products, then down to bottom for pwr window kits.
You could also do a search on SPAL. They manufacture pwr window kits as well.
select products

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Power windows

Power windows will require different window regulators. The motors are attached to the regulator and, of course, there is no provision for a crank handle.

Also, the door glass is different for p/w cars since they have a semi-circular cutout along the bottom edge to clear the window motor.

The entire car's wiring harness will be different too. You have the feed wire (engine compartment) harness, and the in-car carness which goes all the way back to the taillights...

To go with a factory setup will not be cheap, since the motors/regulators go for big bucks since they also fit the Mustangs. I saw regulator/motors asking $200 each at the big Spring Swap this year in Columbus. Then you're still stuck with the wiring harness issue, the switches, bezels,....

I do have a complete p/w setup for a 72 that I'm willing to part with, but it is gonna cost you! I have everything. The 'special' door glass, the four motors/regulators, wiring harness, all four interior bezels... Im having a 'clearance sale' on my Cougar stuff I've collected over the years, so .....

e-mail me if you're still interested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts