Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have power windows on a base 69. The only switch that works is the driver side. The motor on the passenger side works as I can direct wire the window to lower. Looking to replace the motors and switches (after market parts) and wondering if anyone has done that recently. Please explain as if your talking to a newbie as I install hardwood floors and am not a natural mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Very often what causes power window seat, etc..parts to fail, is dirt in the connection. I can't help you pick out new parts to remove and replace the old ones with, but if you feel confident enough cleaning the switch may help. The contact points. Or check with the cougar vendors, for new parts. Johns classic, west coast classic cougar, etc...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm speaking from the experience of doing this twice. You might as well pull everything out of the car including the glass and regulators and recondition everything, especially if you still have that lousy glue-in glass that needs to be reglued. carefully take all of the window switches apart and clean them. Burnish the contacts with small strips of paper until they are clean. One bum switch can screw up elsewhere in the system. The full size 69-70 fords and Mercurys used the same switch. I also think WCCC may have reproductions for sale. Also, replace the gear kits in both door motors. You will also want to clean all of the old peanut butter like grease out of the regulators and glass guides and clean up the quarter glass motors. It is an awful job, but you have to do it if you want any reliability out of the system.

JAMES

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
On the driver's door switch panel, there are copper connectors that tie each pair of switches together. If these connectors are missing, none of the other switches will work.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The front door window motors are reproduced (wide applications) but the rear quarter window (a.k.a. "pancake") motors have to be rebuilt. We do a rebuilding service for them at WCCC. But we are actually working on a how-to video to show how it's done, so people can try rebuilding them if they want to. And yes we do have new repro window switches. Links to applicable parts / info below:

Front window motors: LH and RH
Window switch
Lockout switch (Makes the 3 other passengers' switches inoperable. Looks the same as window switch but pins are different)
Quarter "Pancake" motor rebuild service / instructional photos

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
105 Posts
FYI , Auto Zone offer's a solid state replacment motor for front windows, much smaller & lighter then the original shaded pole motors.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I got sick of the stock window switches so I'm upgrading to a set of switches from a 77/78 4 door Ford product. If you are looking for function rather than form this is a better way to go but you will not someone with basic electrical expertise to swap over the wiring plugs in the loom

·
Registered
8 Posts
My window motor is bad and I think the regulator is stuck up. I read the factory manual and can't figure out how to get everything out. Is there a spring under pressure?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Are you sure that the switch is actaully roking properly? They are prone to failure and they kind of "daisy Chain" through each other to make continuity. It can be any one of them holding up the show so to speak. You might verify that the connector to the motor is actaully getting power first......then maybe look at the motor. I can't rememer how we got them out - but it was not fun as I recall. You have to have things in the correct spot such that you can remove bolts and get it wiggled out and trying to keep the glass out of the way..... an extra set of hands or a few small C clamps may be handy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts