Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever replace a power window motor on a '94? Got the door panel off and the only access hole I can figure out is the speaker hole. Assuming this is correct, any advice on the actual motor replacement procedure? Thanks in advance. I have a new switch on order, but it is probably wishful thinking that it is the switch and not the motor.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Before spending $ on the motor - try tapping it some and see if you get it going - sometimes the grease in them gets gummy/hard - you can crack it open and see if you can clean it - re-lube. Either of these methods has saved me from buying new ones a few times

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is funny but I already ordered a new motor and switch and figure 18 years of using the window is plenty enough use to justify new parts. Anyway, yesterday I opened the motor out of curiosity and it seems to be a simple motor, but did not see any obvious problems. Nevertheless, i pulled the shaft out too much and two small brushes and springs went SPROING! and I could not get them back in properly so to hell with it. At least this cat was not killed by the curiosoity, not this time, anyway.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - well you ain't out nothing for a learning experience! there is a method to the madness to get those brushes seated back in there they have a hole in them that you use a pin/nail to hold thing in place then pull it out.....sounds a bit "funny" now that i read it back! ..:>0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts