Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is a small bit to share... I just finished the rebuild on my carb. From an earlier post it would go dead- as in no gas, after warming up. I replaced the rotor, and cap. Checked for vacuum leaks and bad wires- 2 fixes. Still no relief. The timing light showed that it was rock steady, as did the dwell from the Petronix upgrade. SO I rebuilt the 2100d Motorcraft(2100 autolite) 2bbl carb. I used a Hygrade kit- be sure to ask for the "ford" 2bbl kit or you may end up at the counter exchanging the 2bbl Holley kit that is also spec'd. He never asked, so I had to assume.

Anyway, I read an article on tune-up from the Musclecar Hi-Po book on 351 c's The mechanic said he like to upgrade the #10 stock power valve to the Holley 6.5 Power valve (#125-65). tO SMOOTH OUT acceleration. $5 invest ment to see if he was right. He was. I noticed a nice gain that no doubt had something to do with the rebuild; but I'll attribute credit where due just the same. No more stalling as well.

I recommend trying this during your next rebuild- Holley.com also reccommends this upgrade.

Another tip: There are two carb to manifold gaskets in the kit. My book says to use one on each side of the carb spacer- I never did this before- helps to read instructions. I had a completely leak free install the first time:) Also I tried tightening all bolts to just past snug, instead of real tight- no gas leaks:) :)

Hope it helps,

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ive heard of the power valve change. I just may have to try it on my spare 2 barrel carb. Its amazing what happens when you read instructions :D

Rick

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Awww c'mon...instructions are for sissies... ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thats right ...directions are for sissies, get the hell out of the way so I can put these spare parts that they include with everything I build.
:D :p: :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Whath all thith?

You boyth better thettle down with all that thittie sthuff.:cry: I'm telling.

man had to edit this twice... it's a pain talking with a lisp ;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
'strukshuns? we doe need no stinkin' 'structshuns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts