Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the Great White North,

I have a question about the power steering system in my Cat. I currently has the stock pwr steering set up in it. It works okay! :rolleyes:

What I was hoping for was to put a rack and pinion system in it. Is this possble, and how difficult is this going to be???

Thoughts??? :1poke:

·
Registered
648 Posts
It certainly isn't a job for a beginner (or me for that matter!). The last issue of Mustangs and Fords had a pretty large article on doing this modification to a Mustang (which should be the same for a Cougar). It was pretty spendy too. I am planning a rebuild starting in March and hope to take lots of pictures...

Ken

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You happen to remember what month that was do you???

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed a rack and pinion from Total performance with their pump and remote tank on my fully restored 68 XR7-G. The engine was out so it was a slam dunk installation. Pricey, yes, however it was the single best improvement to the car!! Of course the Global West suspention and Koni shocks helped. It drives and handles like a 2003 car!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I has no problems with the tcp rack going in my 68. This was my first time to do any front end work and the engine was in.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Cost typically runs between $1200 and $1500 depending on whether you buy a rebuilt rack vs new or power vs manual. The kits are bolt-in projects from the various articles I've read in CC and M&F. Not to knock the system (I have plans for one in one of my project cars too) but after completely rebuilding/replacing all the steering in Donna's Cougar, it handles like a new car. A good steering gear box, a new idler arm, and rebuilding the control valve made the biggest difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts