Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got under the car to take some pictures, this is what the PO did with the power steering pump, its from a Ford Saphire, note the fuel line instead of hydraulic hose, its nice and shiney, due to the fact that it is saturated with p/s fluid, also note that the hoses are joined at both ends with clamps, not proper fittings.
You may be able to see the p/s fluid dripping, she leaves her mark wherever we go:). Bought 1.5m hydraulic hose today and am going to replace the fuel line with it, also got clamps which I may or may not use, going to remove both the pipes first to see if I can get the proper connections, if not going to use the clamps, they are the ones that you have to 'pince' closed. Hopefully if the p/s fluid stays in for longer than a day the steering might improve a bit.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How come the 'rod' coming out of the control valve is shiney up to a point and then all rusted, is this correct for it to only move so far, and no further?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yep, the cylinder will ony travel so far along the shaft. Check out the front shocks on a Ford truck that has sat for a while, you should see the same thing. Shiny only about 1/2 way up.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
theres usually a boot on the shaft, to keep it from getting rusty and then wrecking the seal when it moves in and out. I would sand it with a wet emery cloth, and find a boot.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea, I saw a boot on a photo that Bob sent me, wondered where it 'fitted' in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts