Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sprung a leak. It looks like the fluid is coming out of the 2 short pressure hose's under the car. I replaced the one pressure hose from the power steering unit last year and have checked all return lines today. What I am wondering is, there is a grease fitting by these 2 short pressure hose's. Is it for grease? I started to put some grease in, and power steering fulid came out, so I stoped. There is a metal sleve raped around it and on top it has a rubber boot like.
Thanks Paul W. 67 std

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
sounds like you have an internal leak. The grease fitting thing is for grease, not much though. The metal sleeve and rubber is just to protect the ball stud on the valve. When you put the lines on, did you use thread sealant or tape, and male sure the holes are clean of dirt and crud before putting the lines on. I probably didnt help you did I :(

Rick

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put my new hose's on today. I didn't use any thread sealeant didn't know that I could. Anyway I still have a small leak. I'm not sure were it's coming from. I'll check it out closer tomarrow for I ran out of light for tonight. What type of thread sealeant should I use?
Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
175 Posts
I kept burning hoses on the headers and ended up putting a manual steering adapter on. It's great! no more problems...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I've replaced all hose's, pressure and return. I still have a leak. Now It looks like It's coming right out of the ram. Is this rebuildable or should I just get a new one. And were do I find the parts or a new ram? Does anyone know the cost? I am really getting bumed and I don't like all this fluid driping on my garage floor.
Thanks Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, it is rebuildable. You can get a new repop for about $140, a rebuilt for about $90-120 or have yours rebuilt for about the same. I sprung for the new repop as my thinking is better tolerances with modern machining. Time will tell.
Almost all the stang dealers carry them as wel as Autozone. NPD in Ventura is probably closest to you Paul.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You better check your control valve as well. Sounds like it could be leaking internally as there should not have been any p/s fluid coming out when you greased the ball stud. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
the control valve is where all of the hoses connect to. you can see it in between the caliper and lower contol arm.

I'm down with Wayne. It never drove better now that I have the manual steering adapter on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts