Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the kit and a possible fix for the water pump pulley but my main question is: Does converting help take the "slack" out of my steering wheel? I can turn the wheel, while standing still, about 1/6th to 1/5th of a turn before it will actually turn the wheels.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Only if the problem is in the control valve itself. you need to find out exactly where the play is. what does the water pump pulley have to do with your problem?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the water pump pulley have to do with your problem?
What belt to drive it when converting the steering. It's been said there may be an issue with the water pump being driven by the power steering pump. Once the power steering is gone there is no way for the water pump to be driven.

·
Registered
913 Posts
No, the water pump drives the P/S pulley, just take the belt off . You should have a belt from crank to alt. to water pump and back to crank. your P/S may be driven off the crank alone. Don't you have the car there to look at?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
No, the water pump drives the P/S pulley, just take the belt off . You should have a belt from crank to alt. to water pump and back to crank. your P/S may be driven off the crank alone. Don't you have the car there to look at?
Not if it's a Cleveland car. The p/s and w/p were one -- the alt and crank were another.

I have a Cleveland manual steering w/p pulley and crank pulley if you need a setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts