Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in the new power steering pump and control valve and wow what a difference. It seems as if the valve was shot. My ram does not leak however I was considering getting a new one so that the system would be new. If I have my ram tightened to much on the drop bracket (Headers) What problems would I be experiencing, I feel it may be to tight and compressing the shaft to much therefore restricting range of hard turns. Would it be worth putting in a new one, $130.00 isn't bad. Would I see a big difference? . Do these new rebuilt rams leak often , or am I better off leaving the 25 yr old one in?

Thanks
PB

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
PB,

The shaft of the ram's are meant to be fully tightened, that is why there is a spacer that goes inside the two bushings. So do not worry about anything except if the ram leaks. Also, to my knowledge, a "rebuilt" ram just means it has a seal kit installed. The way these rams are constructed, the piston and shaft cannot be removed so the seal on the ram piston cannot be replaced. So personally, I do not see the value in a rebuilt ram. I put a seal kit in mine and so it too is "rebuilt" unless I am off base here (someone will either confirm what I have said or speak about what they know to be the case).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense Bob, It seems as if I will not see any change with a rebuilt. It was my thought that if I played around with the connection at the drop bracket right at that point where It's not to tight , yet not to loose, then I might be able to maximize the turning radius to the right and left. I noticed a drop in this radius when the drop bracket was first installed. As for everything else , the steering system seems to work much better. Thanks Bob.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
PB,

Think you mean you want to MINIMIZE the turning radius. Now about what the drop bracket may have changed in the ram geometry. Yes, the fully extended length of the ram is shortened by some small amount, but intuition tells me that the fully extended length of the ram is longer by some amount than the stops on the spindles which stop against the ends of the strut rods on 69/70 (since I do not know what you are working on, your mileage may vary). On the shortest length of the ram side of things, the drop would only make this length shorter than stock so if what you mention were indeed happening, the turning radius would get tighter. I suggest turning lock to lock and see what is determining the limits. Chances are it is the spindle and strut rod stops.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob,
When dealing with after market items you really have to get creative and tweak things. I went with heavier rubber bushings on the ram and it seems to have good action on the left and right turn, and contracts and expands well. I like the feel. I may try and tighten the steering box just a pinch more to remove the final amount of slop I am feeling. After that, that's as good as it gets, and right now it's not to bad. My problem is I like things perfect.

Thanks again
PB

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I put my drop bracket in, I noticed that the car wouldn't do left hand turns as tight as it used to. Had to use a couple of washers to shim the ram slightly to get the geometry closer to what it was before. Then there was no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts