Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am proberly going over old stuff here, but, just how complicated is the power steering story, I have mentioned before that the PO put a Ford Saphire power steering pump in my 70, with the wrong hoses, surely it is not just that simple to pop another one in, like they did, keeping in mind the brakes story, I am wondering just how many other 'little surprieses' I am going to find. I would like to put the old unit back. With the correct pipes etc. But I know nothing about power steering, except that its a hellava lot easier to turn the wheel with it. I would prefer to know what I am talking about before I take it in to someone and get ripped off.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hellooo, come on guys, show off your knowledge:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got through messing around with mine on a 69 XR7 and thought it was easy. Of course you want to remove all the hoses before you unbolt it from the bracket :rolleyes: .

I have a question to go with yours, are the 70 units the same as 69?

:alien:

·
Registered
614 Posts
72cat -

You don't have a picture of your current setup, do you? I think we'd like to have a look at it, see what can be done (That last sentence spoken in an authoritative voice :D ).

Of course, you could take a look under my bonnet (woo good slang eh?) and see the power steering box with the little bypass hose that goes from supply to return! That's right, manual power steering. It gives my biceps triceps!

I'll get a shot of it, we can start a gallery called 'What NOT to do with your Cat'

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If the ball valve controler is still in place, just bolt in new pump and install hoses, fill and bleed.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"If the ball valve controler is still in place"

Say what???

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Dayle

Is the ram / valve still on the steering tie rod still in place or did they also replace the steering box?

Its not hard to get power steering pump in place. One from a Fairmont GT with 351 Cleveland or any Oz imported 302 Cleveland will work but you will need to use hoses for left hand drive - shorter. Brackets from Fairmont GT will work as well

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sorry, The hoses from power steering pump should attach to a ball valve then short hoses to ram that actually provides the power. The ball valve is a controler for power steering fluid (transmission fluid actually used). It sends fluid in one end or the other of the ram depending on which way the steering wheel is turned. The ram then either pushes or pulls the steering mechinism.

I think I may have to buy a digital camara. This would be much easier to explain.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Power steering hoses

Guess what? You can't get the power steering hoses at all for the 72. They no longer make them. Drove home from work running it dry! Good thing I'm only 2 miles away! They are either too long or too short! I had to have some made special with my existing hardware at an autoparts store that also makes hydraulic lines. You should be able to find parts for the 70 although, most only have parts for the 67-69. Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts