Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Last week, I drove the girlfriend to work, and when I pulled out of the drive way onto the street, all of a sudden, I had armstrong steering! I managed to get my baby home with no really problems, I popped the hood and the belt was still in good shape and the power steering fluid was full. So I made the assumption, that the power steering pump had failed. Am I right in assuming that this could be the only other problem, before I go out and buy a new pump?

My second question is, if it is the pump, can you give me a couple of pointers? I mean its pretty straight forward how to get the pump off. (loosen bolt to get the belt off, disconnect the two hoses from the back of the pump, and undo the two mounting bolts; correct?) I'm just unsure on how to flush the old power steering fluid out, and bleeding the pump once its replaced (if need be).

Thank-you

68/302/4br

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Armstrong steering

It is not necessarily the power steering pump.

Depending on the year of your car (67-70 style or 71-up) you have a plumbers' nightmare under there. Those early cars had the separate control valve and power ram assemblies. They are known for having sticking valves and leaks! Heck even my wife's 21k original mile 70 Mach leaks! They're Major PITAs (Pains In The A**)!

You're going to need to have the control valve and ram checked out. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I figured I had the problem solved, I pulled the old power steering pump out, slapped a new one in, then fired up the ol cat, and still no steering. talk about frustrating :mad:

I let you fellas know once i figure it out.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, well, well... That took awhile but I finally figured it out. The problem was a broken bracket (mounted to the frame) that keeps all the steering linkage in place. It had snaped off from the frame, so I had to weld it back on, I don't think that suckers gonna brake off any time soon now. I made an extra support bracket from 1/4 inch steel for extra support. (finally my metal work classes came in handy :) )

just wanted to let everyone know thats what the problem was.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
CSR_P - Was it the bracket bolted to the frame under the driver's side firewall, where the ram connects? Or further under the car where the rest of the body of the ram attaches?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts