Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a rebuilt power steering pump for my 68 no a/c I filled the pump with fluid (To much) and have a new dip stick. I was driving down the freeway (over a 100) and the pressure build up came up through the dip stick and all over the motor"****" This has happened before so I put electrical tape around the top of the snout (Where the dip stick enters) to make the cap of the dip stick sit snug, yet still allow some pressure to flow.
My concern is, do I have enough fluid in the pump? there is a slight amount at the bottom of the dip stick, is that enough?. I am afraid to add more for fear of what has happened before. If I don't have enough, what should I experience? the steering seems fine, not hard turning, no squeaks etc.... Is everything cool?

Thanks
PBCOUG

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are supposed to check the level warm. Let the car warm up and then check the fluid level. Ford pumps will howl when the fluid level is low. What type of fluid did you use? My manual calls for type F transmission fluid.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check fluid when hot, I used power steering fluid from auto parts store. The dip stick did read small amounts of fluid at the bottom point of the stick, I assume thats enough otherwise I would hear the noise, which I am not.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
As long as it's on the dipstick you are ok BUT - Tell me you used type F trans fluid and not the clear P/S fluid!....DOHH! It will foam up and not lubricate our old stuff correctly and ruin a pump pretty quickly. Take a turkey baster suck it out and put in type F.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL --- yeah, don't like to re-use! ;>)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts