Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Knotts show is tomorrow and it's time to gussy up the 70 Vert and get her show ready. I took her out yesterday to have an exhaust hanger rewelded and to get oil & filter for a change. The drive was about 60 miles round trip. I come back to the car this morning and a bunch of power steering fluid had pissed out the filler tube. WTF... I checked the level and it was low so I put some in not know what had happened. I started the car up after the oil change and ran the steering back and forth a bunch and all appeared to be ok. Checked the fluid and it was good... not overfilled. Cone back an hour later and the same amount has pisssed all over the floor again. Aside from saying it's over-full, what's up with this??

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Put a piece of cardboard under and see if you can track the area it's leaking from - sounds like maybe it has to have pressure behind it for it to leak - so I'm guessing around the power valve - see if the shaft feels wet with fluid (are you using type F?) bend all the hoses back and forth to see if you can find a leaker that has to move in order to leak....maybe it has to be running also...? Maybe it was just a bit over filled ??

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Most likely if this started to occur after you filled it, it is just overfilled. I have had the same thing happen and it was just overfilled. It appears to be just right on the fill level but sometimes it will work the extra fluid out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts