Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 cougar with the 351c motor. the power assist cylinder and all the hoses are leaking really bad. can i remove all the power stuff without changing anything to the linkage or should i just buy all new stuff and keep it like it was? just looking for suggestions. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
If you want to change to manual steering. You should change to manual drag link, idler arm, and pitman arm.

There is a go around to use the stock parts, but you need to get a manual adapter to replace the control valve section.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Personally, I think these cars are just dumb without PS. Many people either don't feel able or don't want to deal with fixing the original stuff. When working, using proper hoses and such, the system works well. When in ill repair, not so much. I'd recommend fixing it, but if you do, do yourself a favor, replace and/or fix what needs replacing and/or fixing - properly. Band-aids don't work on this stuff.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My steering system does not leak. Rebuilt ram, rebuilt control valve (by me) and an original, untouched 70 pump. New lines. No leaks, no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts